PDA

View Full Version : algea problem in fishroom

kevster
05-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi
does anyone have any ideas for keeping down algea in their fishrooms.

I have 1 - 4ft overhead florescent light (2 bulbs) lighting the room.

All of the tanks get alot of algea on the glass and everything is on a

central filter system so when I scrape the glass with a razor blade

I end up needing to clean the filter right away. Also all the drain pipes

coming out of the drilled tanks accumulate a build up of stuff inside them.

Is this just the way it is or are there different kind of light bulbs I can put

in to cut down on the algea.

thanks
kevster

Evan
05-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Is this a planted tank or BB? Do you add anything to the water? Any sources of natural light?

Either way wiping the glass often is helpful as are BN plecos. After QT of course.

kevster
05-19-2005, 02:09 PM
There are 26 bare tanks.
its in my basement so there are 2 small windows, not enough light
so I have the overhead florescent light.

I tried chineese algea eaters but i raise alot of angels and discus
and they ended up getting eaten.

nothing is added to the water.

thanks

justafishguy
05-20-2005, 08:09 AM
What kind of water are you using? If the water is high in phosphates algea will be a problem. Do you have a R/O unit?

Also, what kind of algea are you experiencing? Is it dark brown and stringy? Or is it a flat sheet of greenish-brown...the most common.

kevster
05-20-2005, 04:19 PM
It is well water that is very high in minerals especially iron.

the algea is brown and in some places stringy.

I do use r/o water for 4 tanks and I don't have an algea problem

in those tanks, but its the answer. I can't use r/o water in all the tanks.

thanks
kevster

justafishguy
05-20-2005, 07:27 PM
I have had the same problem with my bad well water. I tried plecos and chinese algea eaters too, but they both bothered my discus. I found that using carbon seems to reduce the algea. Plus, frequent cleaning of prone areas. You should also check to see what kind of light bulbs you are using. I have had problems with the cheapos causing algea buildup quite rapidly. Look for some bulbs that have the Kalvin rating for whiter spectrums, like used in reef tanks. I put my marine bulbs on my freshwater tank. They are 50/50 actinic blue. Plus, the blue does awesome things for the colors of the fish. HTH, good luck

daniel19831123
06-16-2006, 12:19 PM
This is quite easy to treat if the algae you describe is film algae or diatom. Just add otos in the tank or bristlenose plec. They strip those algae within days... The reason why your discus and angel fish getting eaten is because you got the wrong fish! Chinese Algae eater don't eat algae! They are great in pestering other fishes. You need Siamese Algae eater. They have quite mark difference. You can read all about them from thekrib webpage. I haven't got the link here but you can google it and you will find it.