PDA

View Full Version : More ideas and suchlike

Canuck
05-20-2005, 07:17 PM
HI all,
I have been really busy w/ work and all. I had a 5 week course that I had to go thru and is passed. (Oh, what fun! All sarcasm there!) Now it is back to the regular job and alll the stuff I am used to. YAY!!!

I was looking at the lfs at tanks and I saw this really awesome discus diplay tank! I was most impressed! I wish you could see this, but going in there w/ my Canon EOS 10D and Canon 24-70mm F2.8L would be rediculous. That is the only digital camera I have, a DSLR. It had 5 discus, including one that was easily 6 inches! They were in a 120 gal tank that wasn't long, but deep. It seems to me that a discus tank like that is gong to be around a grand before fish are added. I was going to have some rams, and various tetras, corys and why not a few bristle nose plecs for good measure. Oh yes a few loaches for a few more mates in the tank to do too. I think I have where I am going to order them thru, Jack Wattley. I'm thinking the 6 or 8 fish package. The problem now is that I can't find that page. I can call them and enquire. That way it turns out less than $20 a fish! I am also waiting for them to open a PetCo about an hour from here and the last time they opened the one here locally, they had the "dollar a gallon" sale going. That would rock! Now to find the house to live in and that is all that is really missing now. The lease on this apartment is up in Nov so that is the only major snag now.

Canuck
05-22-2005, 06:57 PM
THe origial thought was the get rid of the 49G bow tank (tank #3); however seeing that it is in good contition it can serve as a QT, breeding (should I get that lucky, and more) for now. This will be the home for the monster plec until I get some more stuff taken care of and a 2nd and 3rd tank. Tank #2 is looking to be between 90 and 120 gal, #3 is looking to be 240 or so. Tank #3 will be the eventual home of the monster Plec. The thought is that the basement will be a great choice for monster tank as it would sit ont he foundation and therefore no worries. Tank #2 for Discus will probably be in sight of mostly me. Both of these tanks need to be near a sink, or it may prove difficult to do otherwise...large tanks and buckets are not my idea of fun. That is where the python comes it. One for each tank, thereby assuring no cross contamination. Any suggestions?

Carol_Roberts
05-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Most of us use water pumps (like pond pumps) and hoses (like python hoses) to move our aged water from storage barrels to our tanks.

jimmyhat
05-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Its the only way 802 powerheads i have used, currently magpumps or you could go the monster sump pumps that are over 400 bucks....

Canuck
05-23-2005, 02:16 AM
So as I understand it, get some 33G plastic trash cans, fill them up, let water age and then pump them back into tank. Cool. Lets see here... as I see it, 33G is a shade over 1/3 of 90G; or a shade over 1/4 of 120G. That would work. Python it to fill the can, then pump it up to tank. Gotcha! I might be tempted to find a larger one like 55 gal, if it is relatively cheap.

Is it a really bad idea to ship fish to Alaska in the winter? It was -20s last winter at the coldest time here. Also, I would be adding these fish to an established tank at this time of several neon/cardinal tetras, corys and discus-safe plec or 2 and other discus-safe fish. Now the hard part is waiting to make this happen.

Greg Richardson
05-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I would go with the next one up by Rubbermaid the Brute 44 gallon.
Not that much more in price.
I started with the smaller one but glad I added that 44 as it allows larger WC's.

Canuck
05-24-2005, 05:35 AM
I would go with the next one up by Rubbermaid the Brute 44 gallon.
Not that much more in price.
I started with the smaller one but glad I added that 44 as it allows larger WC's.
Ok, this makes for easy WCs, every 2 days I am thinking...1/3 to 1/2 at a go. Cool! I can do that. Now the hard part is waiting for it to come together.

Greg Richardson
06-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Been using this container for water changes for around 7 months now and no problem. I know others who have been using these for lot longer than that.

Do you think Rubbermaid is going to call a container they make for garbage to be food safe?

The water is changed on a daily basis do you believe in one day it can leach out enough to cause any harm at all?

I sure don't.

And yes, I do love my fish.

jimmyhat
06-03-2005, 01:44 PM
I have been doing on the 160 gallon 25 % in the morning and 25% in the evening w/c's. Its easier and you get to clean more.. Plus one big waterchange is harsher than 2 small ones.. Thus i do straight from the tap with my water here in vacouver and pretty much can get away without adding any additives.. Just water and thats it...

Saves me water barrels all over the place.. Next it to plumb the tanks so the run off goes out of the res to a plumbed line in the apartment.. Less the work the easier it is.. I could in fact plumb the runoff to a downpipe outside the window leading to drainage into the ground.. Or plumb to the grass outside feeding the ground below? Who knows lots to think about! ;)