PDA

View Full Version : setting up 75

traco
05-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Good forum with tons of info!

I have had my 70 gallon tank running as saltwater for the last 9 years and finally this weekend disassembled it. I wanted to go back to freshwater and discus clinched the deal!

I have set up my Fluval 303 with sponges in my 20 gallon freshwater to get some bacteria going.

I will move most of the gravel from the 20 to the 70 plus add more gravel if needed. I will use water from the 20 gallon when doing water changes on that tank.

Questions:

- the Fluval is a rattler!! Do I need to use this in the tank or can I just have a hang on back filter? I want to make sure I have good circulation and filtration. I'd like to do water changes once or twice a week.

- Penguin, Emperor or Aquaclear hang on? Which is the quietest and easiest to access and clean the sponges?

_ also run a sponge filter in the tank?

- run undergravel filter too? I realize with gravel I'll be vacuuming which is no problem. I'll be adding some plants to the tank which will help with the overall balance of the tank.

- is adding Cycle or Prime a good idea when setting up the tank?

- I'd like to have 5 or 6 discus in the tank. Will I have to downsize as they grow? Would rather get the numbers I want and what the tank can handle in the beginning.

- what is a good cleaner to have in the tank that is compatible with the disucs?

- Lastly, any good breeders in Canada that I can order from?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barb

gators111
05-23-2005, 02:22 PM
I'll try to help you out one ? at a time.

1. If the fluval is rattling, don't use it. Discus are sensitive to vibrations and this could add stress, therefore prone to disease. My suggestion to get your bacteria going is to do a fishless cycle with unscented, non-sudsing ammonia. (about 2-3 capfuls/day with a 70 gal tank)

2. I have friend with an emperor and a penguin and they're both quiet, but I'm sure the ACs are too. Mainly depends on the outflow. As far as ease of cleaning, ACs are the easiest. Since you can't use the store bought cartridges b/c of the carbon in them, it's all about the openness of the design and ACs are that.

3. If you are going with a hob power filter, you will definately need some sponges for extra bacteria colonization.

4. Do Not use an undergravel filter. They will cause nothing but headaches for you. They trap uneaten food and waste and dirty your water. Furthermore, Discus eat by blowing their food up off the bottom in a grazing type manner. An undergravel filter will suck up most of the food before they get to it. Go either for bare bottom or a thin layer of black sand. And as for plants, for now I would stick to raising discus first.

5. go with a fishless cycle will take 2-3 weeks if you seed it from the 20 gal

6. a 70 will hold 7 adults well IMO, especially if your going to add some cories

7. cories, bristlenose plecs, and sometimes loaches. I prefer cories, either adolfus or sterbae

8.sorry can't help there

RedScorpion21
05-23-2005, 03:18 PM
*Just to add to what gators said....

8. Barb Newell- you can see a current link here: http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?p=239212#post239212

Also, if you are wanting discus, it would probably be best if you just had No gravel and have a bare bottom tank. That way you can see the extra fish waste and food when you do water changes, thus making the water quality better.

Carol_Roberts
05-23-2005, 03:21 PM
No Fluval - No Gravel.
The 70 bare bottom is fine to grow out 7 or 8 juveniles. I recommend the biggest aqua clear (110?) and an airdriven sponge filter like a Hydro IV or V. I'd put in two 200-250 watt heaters.

You can do a true fishless cycle with clear ammonia or if you ar SURE the current freshwater tank is free of parasites and diease you can add some of the media to the aqua clear to speed the fishless cycle (add enough clear ammonia to read 3 - 5 ppm)

When fitler is fully cycled - will take several weeks- purchase all your juvenile discus from one reliable source. Monitor ammonia levels for first few days.

Read through the stickied topics in beginner section and look through the beginner index. Also there are nice articles on discus care at www.discusnada.org

traco
05-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the replies and info.

Is running a Fluval 303, a 300 or 500 Aquaclar (which of these two sized Aquaclear would be better suited for my scenario?) and also a sponge filter overkill for my 70 gallon? I realize water changes and cleaning the sponges are a must and alternating the sponges to clean. Would running three filters be too much for 6 discus in this tank?

I have a 250 watt Jager heater. Fine for my tank or should I have two at opposite ends of the tank?

Thanks again.

Barb

gators111
05-26-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't think 250 watts is enough for a 70-75 gal tank. You should get another one to put on the opposite side of the tank. As for filtration, you can never have enough, especially in a bare bottom tank. With no decor or substrate, the more places bacteria have to attach the better.

korbi_doc
05-26-2005, 03:04 PM
:D :D My 55g has an Aquaclear 500 & 2 sponge filters, one large, one small. My heater is a Proheat 350W & is more than adequate for that tank. I do like the idea of using 2 smaller heaters to avoid problems, but from what I understand, one is always going to do the most work, & it is sometimes difficult to determine which one is failing unless it just dies.. Now, for your 70g, these would certainly suffice.. Most of my tanks have AC filters with plenty of sponge filters, this way I have extra for setting up another tank for whatever reason!! More discus????? :cool: You bet!! Dottie

Elcid
05-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi:

Upgrading from salt to discus :) Congrats! The most important thing for you to consider is you water source and changing regeime. Please think about this before you plunge in.....There are plenty of posts for you to look at on Simply on this topic but you should think about the following:

(1) How often do I want to change water and how much?
(2) How will I change the water?
(3) How is my water source?
(4) Do I need to age or treat my water in any way before I change it?

Good Luck and Welcome to Discus :)

take care,
Sandeep

Elcid
05-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi:

Oh, one other thing to consider if you are thinking of having a planted tank with discus:

(1) Buy Adult Discus
(2) Don't get any that are of the Pidgeon Blood Type.

Good Luck Again!

take care,
Sandeep

traco
05-26-2005, 11:43 PM
My water source is fine; been tested. Will aerate the night before in a tub and have a heater in there. I have the tank by a window, ground floor, so can just gravity feed out the window for water changes. Which, I'm thinking, would make it easier to do more changes in the week. Just hook up a powerhead to start the flow, vacuum, etc... and done!

I've just set up the water and Fluval, set in the heater in and waiting a while before turning it on. Added Stress Zyme and now good for go. Got my test kits lined up and will test in 4/5 days. Will get the sponge filter ordered; should be next week and then get that going too. Still debating about a AC 300; probably this one, as the footprint isn't as big as the 500. Pros/cons with this compared to something with a bio wheel?

One step closer!!! :bouncegre

Barb

Elcid
05-27-2005, 06:32 AM
I'm amazed how well Discus do with just sponge filters and a good heater.....Other types of filtration is not necessary and an impedement to keeping things clean (because we're too lazy to clean), which is the primary goal in discus husbandry....Don't forget a good lid on ur tank to keep discus from jumping out!

hth
Sandeep