PDA

View Full Version : Overkill for filtration?

traco
05-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Is running a Fluval 303, a 300 or 500 Aquaclear (which of these two sized Aquaclear would be better suited for a 70 gallon?) and also a sponge filter overkill for my 70 gallon? I realize water changes and cleaning the sponges are a must and alternating the sponges to clean. Would running three filters be too much for 6 juvenile discus in this tank? I'd like to stay with that number and have them be happy as they grow.

Twice weekly water changes and will have gravel on 1/3 of the bottom for seeding along with the Fluval which has been running in my 33 gallon.

I have a 250 watt Jager heater. Fine for my tank or should I have two at opposite ends of the tank?

Thanks again.

Barb

Anonapersona
05-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Overkill, perhaps, but that's a good thing if you can stand all that equipment in the tank.

Personally, I'd skip the gravel on the tank floor, if you've run the 303 it has bacteria and if you siphon the floor of the bare bottom tank once or twice a day and change water regularly it will actually take awhile for any pollution to accumulate in the tank.

You can also squeeze the sponge or pads from the 303 into the AC sponges and transfer a lot of bacteria that way.

I run 3 filters on my 105 gallon, a HydroV, a HOT250 and a Penguin 330, but it has 16 near adult fish.

The sponge filter is great since I have a power failure sensing battery powered airpump that also runs to the sponge so that if the main power is off, the battery powered pump kicks on to run the sponge. With your stockng levels, you are probably fine without that sort of thing.

lldewe
05-26-2005, 12:42 PM
What I've realized is that you need to use what works for your system and your water. I tried to do the Aquaclears and Hydrosponges and it was a nightmare. I switched to a HOT magnum with the micron filter and the water is so clean it looks like the fish are floating in air! It's really an experiemnt until you find what works for you!

Best of luck,
Lorie

aqua
05-26-2005, 01:44 PM
I have a 500 Aquaclear and a sponge filter in a bare bottom 125G tank with 60% to 70% water change twice a week. I have 10 adults and subadult discus in there and they are happy, healthy fish.

oodi
05-26-2005, 02:01 PM
I would also increase the frequency of water changes. Discus produce a lot of waste.

Judi
:)

lesxda
05-26-2005, 10:42 PM
HI from Les in Sydney Australia

I have just started with discus and have setup in my garage 10 tanks.
2x 4ft , and 2x 3ft and 6x 2 1/2 ft tanks. are just setting up 2 water storage plastic 44 gallon drums

on my two 4ft tanks I have a sump working on each with spray bar. have a pre filter in overflow box only have plastic mesh and bio balls for filter.

have got 6 discus in one and 7 in the other . the rest are for expansion!!!!! :balloon:

i do 2 daily waster changes and have bare bottoms so always clean bottom when I do water changes.

I have amazon swords plants in pots.

is this filtration enought.

les

JimmyL
05-27-2005, 10:27 AM
European influenced by their unique architecture likes to decorate their tanks with driftwoods, gravel and plants, whereas N. American and Asian based on their culture and lifestyle likes bare bottom tanks for easy maintenace. Each have their own merits and dependinng on your artistic nature. Both need an excellent filtering system for the discus. I don't think filter can overkill. The more the better if you can afford it and don't mind wasting electricity. It allows you to have future expansion plans. Nitrobeactors growth is directly related to the amount of Ammonia and nitrate produced in your system. Discus hobbyists are very prolific. This special breed of people can play magic and quardruple their number of tanks in a few months. You can simply move over a filter to your new system without cycling the new tank.

Jimmy