PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody out there tried heating your substrate for their live plants???

briankgarrison79
05-26-2005, 04:31 PM
I was wondering, I had an idea about using the marineland stealth heaters say three 50watts in an 125 gallon to heat the gravel to create an underwater circultion. Instead of using those high dollar heater coils, my big beef about that system is what if it goes out?? Talk about a mess having to take apart that tank. I think this idea would work, since the outside of the case is plastic. What do you guys think?? Is this idea a good one to try or a bad one?? :confused:

Doug A
05-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't recomend doing that with regular heaters. They need good water circulation around them to work properly. Plus that would only heat up the ssubstarte right around the heater and cook the roots of any plant nearby.

JMO
Doug

Condor
05-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Hydor has a coil heater out that looked pretty interesting. If I remember right it was around 30-40 dollars.

Spices
05-26-2005, 09:23 PM
I was wondering, I had an idea about using the marineland stealth heaters say three 50watts in an 125 gallon to heat the gravel to create an underwater circultion. Instead of using those high dollar heater coils, my big beef about that system is what if it goes out?? Talk about a mess having to take apart that tank. I think this idea would work, since the outside of the case is plastic. What do you guys think?? Is this idea a good one to try or a bad one?? :confused:

WHY???

If you keep a planted tank with discus, your water temperature is and should be around 85 degree (farrenheit). This is more than enough for plants to grow. Rooting is not at all complicated. And, besides, all you really need is fresh water and some nutrients in the tank on a every few days basis. It works for me.
;)

*A*

briankgarrison79
05-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Hydor has a coil heater out that looked pretty interesting. If I remember right it was around 30-40 dollars.

Yeah, I saw that, you also have to buy a heater controler to use it as well.

briankgarrison79
05-28-2005, 07:02 PM
WHY???

If you keep a planted tank with discus, your water temperature is and should be around 85 degree (farrenheit). This is more than enough for plants to grow. Rooting is not at all complicated. And, besides, all you really need is fresh water and some nutrients in the tank on a every few days basis. It works for me.
;)

*A*

Right now this tank does not have any discus in it, seasoning the tank first. I figure I'll wait about 3 months. So this means I not using temps at 85 or above.

TheDuckyOne
05-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Ive used those coil heaters, IMO a little overpriced for what you get, and like you said, if they fail, its a mess. What I would do is get sticky heat pads, the kind used for reptiles, and put those under your tank. Substrate is warm that way, but its not going to heat your entire tank, you will still need heaters for that purpose. The cords can be unsightly, but Ive got small holes drilled in the stand for the tanks I use them on. Also, you dont need to cover the whole bottom in those heat pads, just a few of them will do fine, water movement in the substrate will carry the heat to the surrounding area.