PDA

View Full Version : could i?

diskboy
05-30-2005, 09:08 PM
i got a 20 gal. from my uncle could i keep some discus in it? :angel:

funkyfish
05-30-2005, 09:16 PM
maybe some guppies. discus do better in groups of 6 or more and u need about 10 gal per fish. if u can find a pair they mite be ok but imo i would put some africans in it
good luck

RedScorpion21
05-30-2005, 09:17 PM
IMO that is way too small. If you really want discus then you should be looking at a 55 gal. to start off with. Some of the reasons that a 20 gal. would be too small is that it won't have that much surface area, and fish like discus do better with more surface area. Also, the water parameterscan fluctuate so quickly in smaller tanks like a 20 that even a small slip would result in some dead fishies.

A good rule of thumb would be about 10 gal's per discus, and since discus are a community fish they would need 5 in their group.

Sorry :(
HTH

Carol_Roberts
05-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Sorry - 20 is too small for discus. Best to start with 55 gallon.

shaunn
05-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Diskboy-

If its a 20 Gallon high...
Get two or three baby Angels. In my opinion, they are the next best things to Discus. Use some of the techniques on this board such as water change regimine, et cetera to build the discipline of having discus.

If its 20 Gallon long... hmmmm.... get a couple of firemouth cichlids (I always liked those).

What other fish do you like? Start a nano-reef :)