PDA

View Full Version : Substrate

Go For It
06-02-2005, 01:30 AM
I was wondering what you guys would reccomend as the best substrate for a Discus show tank (...gravel or sand?)? I saw a picture of a Discus tank in a book I was reading and really liked the substrate they had in the aquarium... it was dark and almost looked like soil... anyone have any idea what it could be? What substrate do live plants grow best in?

I understand that Discus can be dirty fish so I was wondering how you guys would clean sand on regular basis. How would you do it without damaging the live plants or causing them to be uprooted from the substrate?

Thanks for the help.

-Mike

peleg38
06-02-2005, 01:47 AM
The dark soil-like subsrate sounds like eco-complete to me. I use Flourite myself. I think both make great mediums for growing plants. IME sand is much easier to clean than gravel. Detritus usually just collects on the top of sand (because it packs down so tight) and can be easily vacuumed off. Gravels allow a little more settling but are very doable. Discus are messy fish but their waste is fertilizer for the plants. My planted tank has no nitrates at all. I have heard of some people getting away with sand as their substrate for plants but I don't think it will give you the huge beautful plants you might want. One option would be 3ish inches of flourite with an inch or two of sand on top of it.

Go For It
06-02-2005, 02:24 AM
I really like the soil-like substrate (eco-complete) so if that is it, I think I'll go with it. Is it easy to clean? BTW, how do you clean that kind of substrate... with a gravel vaccum? And how to you clean the substrate without damaging the planted plants or uprooting them? Thanks for your response peleg... you tank is very nice.