PDA

View Full Version : Hi, New Here...

Go For It
06-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Hi, my name is Michael and I'm 16 years-old. I currently live in Southern California. I acquired my first fish tank, an Eclipse System 12, during Winter of last year and literally just came to love the fish-keeping hobby. I kept small tropical-freshwater fish such as Cardinal Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, Dwarf Gouramis, and Bettas. I was just fascinated by these fish and tried my best to perfect their 'home' so they would be able to live long, happy, and healthy lives. About 3 months ago, I inherited a 40-gallon aquarium with a "Marineland Magnum M350" filter from a friend of the family who no longer wanted to keep fish. Unfortunately, shortly after receiving the 40-gallon tank, a recent and rough move caused me to have to give away my fish to a good friend of mine. So, I currently stand with two empty tanks, the 40-gallon and the 12-gallon, and having rough knowledge of how to work the filter unit of the 40-gallon properly since I did not receive any instruction manual to guide me (...actually I have very little knowledge about aquarium filtration and the different kinds being that the 40-gallon is the first tank I have owned that isn't the "filter attached and ready to add fish" type like the Eclipses... so I hope to learn more about filtration).

About two weeks ago my Dad and I stopped by a local tropical-freshwater fish store just to have a look around. Almost immediately after we walked in, I spotted the Discus and headed straight for their tank. My Dad and I were in there for well over an hour... just watching the Discus and asking the owner of the fish store a variety of questions about them. I was truly taken back by these majestic fish. I really just wanted to take them home right then and there, but I knew that doing research prior to taking home any fish was incredibly important. Unfortunately, after doing research, I do not own the proper equipment to keep Discus and my 40-gallon tank seems to be too small to raise them in. As much as I wish I can own Discus, it wouldn't be fair to subject them to a tank that doesn't meet their requirements because, just like humans, fish feel and suffer as well. I would love to go out and just buy a bigger tank and all the essential equipment, but, at the moment, my family and I wouldn't be able to afford all that. Maybe you guys can refer me to a website of some sort that has reasonable pricing on fish tanks and equipment so I can get an idea and begin to put away a little money here and there?

But for the time being, I will have to admire these wonderful fish through the pictures and stories you guys share. I hope it is alright if I stick around even though I do not own Discus. I really hope I will be able to raise my own Discus and share their photographs and pictures with you all one day. Thank You for all your help.

crazy4discus
06-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Hey Michael welcome to the board! Here there are a lot of people who can help you out on any questions you might have. For a 40 gal you can keep 4 fully grown adult discus in there the rule is 10 gal per adult discus. You can keep 6 juvs or mayb even 8 in there if you can keep up with the water quality. But once they grow you will need a bigger tank. As for equipment just run a aquaclear 70 aka 300 use a prefilter to connect to it and run 2 hydro 3's will do great for a 40 gallon. You can find hydro 3's for a pretty cheap just look around. As for the aquaclear 70 go to bigalsonline they have it for 21.49 i think.
For a 40 gal use a 200 watt heater will do the job. Befor anything you must cycle your tank.You don't need much equipment for discus tanks and always do barebottom its the best way to go. As for discus find a local breeder to buy from because breeders always sell discus for cheaper then the lfs. Well hope i help you out with some info more people will help you out just wait.

bussardnr
06-03-2005, 12:00 PM
http://www.craigslist.com
thats where i got my tank, 75gal complete setup for $300. just pick the nearest cities on the right and search for 'fish" and then "aquarium"

sidra
06-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi Michael,

Welcome.

Check out thatpetplace.com for your filters, etc. They won't ship tanks, but I find the hoods and lighting to be the most expensive part of the tank and this site has great prices on hoods, lighting, filters, pumps, heaters etc.

Good luck.

Kristen

kazkirk
06-03-2005, 01:19 PM
I agree with the used fishtank idea. I just made out like a bandit with my 125 gallon I purchased. Check your local paper, ebay, aquabid, all those places, there is bound to be something reasonable in there. Just clean everything out properly and if they silicone looks sketchy, reseal it. ($3 for a big tube of silicone, no complaints!)

Good Luck!
Karen

KIWI13
06-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Hey Michael, heres a big welcome to you and you dont need to own discus to be apart of this forum. All you gotta do is love em and the people here will love you.
40 gallons is a nice size for some discus and I got some in a 32 gallon so I dont see why you cant have some.
Ok so you might lack the experience but if you follow all the guidelines posted here, you should find your bearings.
Anyway, if you decide your not ready for discus yet and you wanna get some other cichlids then you should pop by on simplycichlids which is the sister site and you will find alot of info on there about a wide range of cichlids.
Once again a big welcome and stick around. You'll have a whole lot of fun learning...

diskboy
06-03-2005, 02:23 PM
just listen to us and we will guide you :) o what am i talkin about i just started to LOL!!!!

Go For It
06-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Thank You all for your responses and warm weclomes... it is greatly appreciated. So it IS possible to keep Discus in a 40-gallon aquarium? The filter media that came with the 40-gallon is a "Marineland Magnum M350"... is this filter media suitable for Discus? What additional equipment will I need for the tank and, if I purchase the extra equipment now for the 40-gallon, will the equipment be suitable for a larger tank I plan to purchase in the future? Can anyone refer me to a site that can help me learn more about filtration and the different equipment for aquariums?

So you guys do not suggest that I purchase Discus from my local fish store? I read some where that beginners should look for nice, but inexpensive Juveniles... what would be a price estimate for inexpensive Juveniles? I have been looking through some Discus breeder sites and found 'somethingphishy.com'... they seem to have nice Discus and reasonable pricing. I'll have them in mind when I'm ready to purchase my Discus...

Again, Thank You all fo your help. I hope I am not being an annoyance with my many questions. Thanks again...

Greg Richardson
06-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Find out if some breeders are around your area to save shipping costs.

I agree with www.craigslist.com

Fantastic place.

Do tank search every day there.
Be persistant and you'll eventually score.

hexed
06-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Michael,
I believe Jeff from discusfarm.us lives in southern California. Right now he is in Asia looking at new stock. Give him an email and he will get back to you. What you see on Somethingsphishy is not what you actually get. They use the same pic for their fish. whether it is a 2 inch, 3 inch or 4 inch the picture is the same. You want to purchase discus that you are actually looking at what you will be buying. Trust me I learned the hard way. I want a solid blue (blue diamond) and I purchased 4 juvies from a seller and received blue turks. The seller told me after I complained that the picture used was from a book not the actual fish I bid on. That my friend is wrong so you want to always see pics of the actual fish you are buying. If the seller doesn't want to send you an updated pic then leave him/her behind and find another seller. Never never settle for less then what you want! Discus are not that hard to keep, just give them what the need to survive and they will do their best to keep you happy ;)

drayman86
06-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi Michael:

You've found a great place for friendly people and a wealth of information.

You seem eager to learn, and I suggest you use the internet to learn all you can about fishkeeping, especially discus. Don't get overwhelmed by the amount of information available. There's a ton, however I'd start with learning something about the following:

In fishkeeping we talk a lot about biological filtration and the nitrogen cycle.
1. What does the nitrogen cycle start with and what does it end with?
2. Where does the starting material in the nitrogen cycle come from (mainly).
3. What types of filters are best for biological filtration?
4.. What are the two common water tests fishkeepers run on their water to check the status of their biolgoical filtration system?
BONUS QUESTION: name the two bacteria involved in the nitrogen cycle.

In fishkeeping we talk a lot about mechanical filtration.
1. What do we mean by mechanical filtration, as opposed to biological filtration?
2. What type of filters are best for mechanical filtration?

In fishkeeping, especially in discus, we talk a lot about pH.
1. What exactly is pH a measure of?

In fishkeeping, especially in discus, we talk a lot about water hardness.
1. What does GH measure?
2. What does KH measure?
3. Which one has a direct effect on pH; GH or KH? How does it work with pH, i.e. the general chemical reaction?

Take you time and do enough research to be able to answer the above questions, and you'll be WELL on your way to successful discus keeping. There's lots of good information on the following page, too:

http://article.discusnews.com/

Check out the section on Discus Water.

Remember, there is no shortage of varying opinions when it comes to discus, their water requirements, their feeding, etc. Get as much information as you can first, then start talking to local breekers, and of course fire away with questions for all of those smart and friendly folks here on the message boards.

Greg

Go For It
06-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Okay... Thanks again for all your responses... I'm starting to understand this stuff! :D Alright, I understand a sponge filter and a hang-on power filter would be a good things to add to the tank... can you guys refer me to good brands that you guys reccomend? Another thing... in order to raise some money for a larger tank and its equipment, I am considering selling my 40-gallon aqaurium... should I just sell the "Marineland Magnum M350" along with the tank and everything else or would I still need that for the other tank? Thanks again for your help... I'd be lost with all you guys!

RyanH
06-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey Michael,

I really love the Aquaclears. They have done well for me for several years. For a 55 gallon tank with two sponge filters, an A/C 70 with a prefilter would be fine. Many people put A/C 110's on their 55's and that is fine too.

Many make their own prefilters for their powerfilter intakes. I've been using FilterMax III prefilters for the last couple of years and I really like them. They will cost more money however, than just making a prefilter out of a sponge. Either way you go, a prefilter is a really good idea.

For sponge filters, I'm totally sold on the Hydro-sponges. I use two Hydro-V's on my 55 gallon tanks and three on my 75's.

Here are a few websites to check out when shopping around for your filters and other equipment. All have done well for me and are comparable in price:

www.bigalsonline.com

www.petsolutions.com

www.kensfish.com

www.jehmco.com

hth!
-Ryan

RyanH
06-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Here is a pic of one of my 75's with my standard sponge setup. It contains three slightly modified Hydro-V sponges and a FilterMax III prefilter. The power filter is an AquaClear 110.

The tanks are a bit overstocked but I compensate with larger and more frequent water changes. I would follow the advice of others for now and stick to the "1 fish per 10 gallons" rule.

:)

RyanH
06-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Here is another 75 with several juveniles that I'm growing out. Again, it's a bit overstocked and I don't recommend doing this until you get better acquanted with the needs of your fish. I just wanted to show you the filter setup.

Go For It
06-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks Ryan for your response. The visuals really helped... your Discus are real nice, btw. What is a "pre-filter"? And since I'm planning to sell my 40-gallon... do I even need the 'Marineland Magnum M350" filter or can I sell that as well? Thanks...

RyanH
06-05-2005, 01:34 PM
In the second pic on the left-hand side, on the uptake tube; that is the prefilter. It's purpose is to trap larger particles before they can get sucked up into your power filter, thus keeping your filter much cleaner. I rinse my prefilters everyday. IMO some sort of prefilter is absolutely essential for maintaining good water quality.

-Ryan

ronman
06-05-2005, 07:41 PM
RyanH, very nice discus you have there.:P

Ron

alpine
06-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Ryan, in pic #15 , how big are those juveniles , I counted 17 ...how long do you plan on keeping them on the 75 ? the tanks look so clean !!!

roberto.

RyanH
06-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Most of them are about 3 1/2". I have some fish that will be passing quarantine soon (hopefully :D ) so I'll be separating that group before too long and moving fish around.

It's quite a bit of work keeping that many juveniles together in one tank. :(

hth
-Ryan

gators111
06-06-2005, 03:11 PM
As long as the Magnum 350 works it will be fine for a 40 gal. tank. It should have 2 different filter media for it. One is a white, corragated filter kinda like an air filter for a car (this is the micron filter). The other should be a container that can hold peat or other stuff (this is the media filter). If you combine that with a sponge filter, you should be good. Also buy an extra micron filter so you can rotate them, they are around 12 bucks. I have a Magnum 250 pro on a 30 gal for my 2 discus and I rotate the two micron filters. Keeps the water crystal clear.

Go For It
06-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Okay... after all your responses this is what I am planning on doing:

I will be selling my 40-gallon tank along with the Magnum 350 filter, lights, stand, ect. Depending on how much money I recieve for selling the 40-gallon, I will get a bigger 55+ gallon tank (the bigger, the better). As for the equipment... I will be purchasing two Hydro IV sponge filters and an AquaClear 500 with a FilterMax III pre-filter. It won't be awhile until I completely set-up this tank... but does the set-up sound good?

Oh... as for the Discus. discusfarm.us resides about 45 minutes away from me so I'm looking into purchasing my Discus from there (...thanks hexed). What do you guys think about them? Are the fish reasonably priced? What are considered "Juveniles"? Thanks...

babyjess210
06-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Okay... after all your responses this is what I am planning on doing:

I will be selling my 40-gallon tank along with the Magnum 350 filter, lights, stand, ect. Depending on how much money I recieve for selling the 40-gallon, I will get a bigger 55+ gallon tank (the bigger, the better). As for the equipment... I will be purchasing two Hydro IV sponge filters and an AquaClear 500 with a FilterMax III pre-filter. It won't be awhile until I completely set-up this tank... but does the set-up sound good?

Oh... as for the Discus. discusfarm.us resides about 45 minutes away from me so I'm looking into purchasing my Discus from there (...thanks hexed). What do you guys think about them? Are the fish reasonably priced? What are considered "Juveniles"? Thanks...

Michael
Sound just like the setup I have now but I'm running 2 V sponge in a 60 gal. If you are interested in the 60 gal in about 3 weeks let me know, also if you need help. Jeff @ discusfarm have some very nice Blue Diamond before he left to Asia.

top tank is 60
Kenny

hexed
06-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Michael,
I'll give you my best advice on purchasing a brand new 55 gallon tank. Now this will only work at PetsMart stores because they price match any compediter's price, actually they are the only one who does this. Now if you go to www.elmersaquarium.com and then click onto "tanks and kits" you will see that the 55 gallon is on sale, click onto it and it will tell you how much. Ok, I will tell you it's $109.97 this price includes the tank and hood combo. My petsmart sold me the tank for that price. I told them I didn't need anything else, but their tank comes in a big box with some other stuff. If yours gives you a problem just tell them they can remove the rest because you do not need it with discus. You will have to print the page and bring it to petsmart. Another useful bit of info is they also price match from their own website. Just print and bring to the store and you get the same price as the website. I get my filter pads for my penguin 330 from their website because the pads and some of their media (charcoal & ammonia reducer chips) ships FREE so I don't even need to print the page.
I get my 300 watt heaters from ebay for about $10 plus shipping, they have a deal for 6 Jebos at $60 plus $8 shipping. I try to buy in bulk because heaters do not last forever and I always keep extras on hand because you just never know when one can just up and die on you. I have and use Jebo heaters and have never had a problem with them. I tried the titanium but they always died at about 6 months. I also get my filters from Ebay, I got my aquaclears really cheap and they were brand new in the box. Again, I purchased more then one and saved on shipping and it was still cheaper then a LFS.

Jeff has beautiful discus, he is currently offering a discounted rate for members of NADA - North American Discus Association. If you join the club for $25 this is what he is offering(I cut and pasted his post):
"I sincerely believe in what NADA is doing. I know this is the best way to advance the hobby in the US. I also understand NADA is just starting and people are questioning what benefit they will get from NADA if they do not go to the ACA. I have decided I will offer all my discus to NADA members first at a reduced price and then offer what is left if anything to forum members at my regular prices. This way NADA members who order through me will more than pay for their membership on 1 order and will get the best selection. I hope that NADA members see this as a benefit and will continue to support Discusfarm.us and NADA."
If you want to join NADA go to www.discusnada.org
HTH
Frank - Newsletter Editor of NADA

Robo
06-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Here is another 75 with several juveniles that I'm growing out. Again, it's a bit overstocked and I don't recommend doing this until you get better acquanted with the needs of your fish. I just wanted to show you the filter setup.

Fantastic and beautiful discus you have there, Ryan!