PDA

View Full Version : goo from log? :confused:

traco
06-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Added a log from the fish store yesterday and this morning, the tank looked kind of cloudy and when the lights came on, the log had a kind of fuzzy look to it. I took the log out right away and there are still particles floating in the tank.

Is this okay? I don't want to do a water change as the tank is still cycling. I tested the ammonia and nitrite. Ammonia 0 and nitrite below .3. I have some swords and hygrophila in there which were added a couple of days ago.

Carol_Roberts
06-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Sounds like fungus. I would not put the log back in th tank.

traco
06-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Could a log that was from the pet store have fungus? This was the same sort of log I've seen in tanks and should be treated before selling? I haven't put it back in the tank; got it sitting in a bucket with a powerhead.

What about the tank with it's cycling? Should it be okay?

Anonapersona
06-03-2005, 07:09 PM
According the the SkepticalAquarist site, which is prettty darn good IMO, that is a normal transitional bacteria, in time it will be overcome with something else that makes it dissappear. If you don't kile the looks of it, keep the log submerged in a separate place until it looks normal. Do inspect it for soft spots or nasty smelling rotted spots, for some pet stores tend to stock the lizard wood with the aquarium wood, not being aware of the differences.

traco
06-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Have taken a look at the log in the bucket. Looks like tea right now :) Will keep it in the bucket for a couple more days with the powerhead and give it a brush also. Better getting rid of the gunk in a bucket rather than a fish tank, heh?!

wvt9527
06-03-2005, 11:40 PM
I will allways boil my wood for around 1 hour before ever putting it in the tank. This will help with the tea coloring of the tank & kill anything that is on the wood.