PDA

View Full Version : Breeding like rabbits....but

drlinden70
06-16-2005, 10:32 AM
My pair of Discus are breeding almost every week now. Large numbers of fertile eggs. Most of the eggs get to wriggler stage, but the parents ignore them. Ive never seen any fry on the flanks of the parents.

What is the issue here? Is there anything i can do?

Regards

David

Kagan
06-16-2005, 01:06 PM
What is the tank details? How old is the pair? Do you turn the lights off at nights? What are the parameters?

Kagan

drlinden70
06-16-2005, 03:40 PM
40 Gallon tall. Bare with large sponge filter and inverted clay pots.

pH around 6.5
Hardness around <100 ppm (RO with RO right).
Water change every 3 days. They start spawning as soon as the water level drops.
Lights turned off automatically at night.

In my fish room, but I have put cardboard around the tank at the sides so they are not spooked by the other Tangs i have close by.

Most of the eggs develop with maybe 1 in 10 infertile.
Wrigglers get free swimming, but the parents ignore them.

I believe the pair is only 6 months established. They went off the boil for a few months, but recently have got very busy.

The parents arent skittish and tend to the eggs while they are developing, but dont seem to be bothered once they are wrigglers.

Thanks

David

Kagan
06-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi,

Try leaving a light on at nights. This will most possibly solve the problem. It will take the fries find the parents a day or so. Also, be sure nothing vibrates the tank or tank stand. This would cause the fry get lost.

Kagan

Alight
06-19-2005, 04:30 PM
I think Carol also had a tip which is to lower your tank water level several inches, so there is a clear band below the black band. Apparently it helps the fry find the parents. Also, some have indicated that fry have a difficult time locating pigeon parents. Apparently they home in on the dark color.

drlinden70
06-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Well,

They spawned again yesterday. I have set the lights to be on continuously, hoping for the best this time.

The female is tending to the eggs well (huge number of eggs this time).

They are pidgeon variety as well.

Thanks for the help, really enjoying my Discus.

drlinden70
06-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Success!!!!

Coming home from a short vacation, My Discus pair are caring for a brood of 100+ fry. They seem to be growing well. 90% of them are clumped together at the top of the tank, but seem to make the small trip to Momma for a nibble on her sides. The other 10% seem to be cruising the tank.

BTW. I left the lights on permanently.

David

Kagan
06-28-2005, 06:38 AM
congratulations David! :) The 10% will find the parents in time. Now your part starts by the way ;) hope they will grow nicely.

Kagan

drlinden70
06-28-2005, 09:42 PM
What is the best link for accessing info on caring for the fry?

Carol_Roberts
06-29-2005, 03:06 PM
BAsically you will want to start supplementing with newly hatched baby brine shrimp around day 7 free swimming. By day 14 free swimming they will be nibbling at the parents tetrabits, flakes and worms. By day 21 they will be able to totally eat regular discus foods if small enough.