PDA

View Full Version : Buy filtration or feeder?

bee
06-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Close to my tank being cycled. Fishless cycle with ammonia and running for a month. :)

65 gallon
hydro sponge
canister filter
potted plants

Will get 6 discus 2.5"-3" Water changes 3-4 times a week.

Pro/con to buying either the following:

Penguin 300 (remove canister filter later)

OR

automatic feeder (Eheim or Pentair Aquatics?)

Wonder if these would be a "luxury" as in not really needed but would be nice to have?

Put my money towards either/both/neither? Or is my setup okay the way it is now?

Thank you.

Bee

tpl*co
06-16-2005, 03:23 PM
How big is the canister and the sponge filter? I'd probably lean on getting the eheim feeder and maybe another sponge. (interested in what others say though :)).

RedScorpion21
06-16-2005, 03:31 PM
I have the automatic feeder on my juvi tanks and let me tell you that it is ALOT easier for me. All I have to do is put the occasional bloodworm cube in there throughout the day and water change :)

I'd say definately get the automatic feeder. (plus, when you go on vacation it is easier that way too!)

JMO :antlers:

bee
06-16-2005, 05:18 PM
The canister is an old fluval (303). The sponge filter is a hydro sponge IV.

Thanks for the replies so far. :)

tpl*co
06-16-2005, 06:19 PM
What's your budget? Check out for specials on bigalsonline and such (much, much cheaper than local stores that I've found) and maybe you won't have to settle for just one

Cosmo
06-16-2005, 07:21 PM
If you're starting with juveniles, and you're not going to be home all day, definately get the Eheim autofeeder.. almost a must have item. I'm not familiar with the fluval's, but what you want is lots and lots of biological capacity - from looking at the boxes, the Fluval's are more of an all around community tank type filter with mech, chem, and bio chambers. Not sure the bio chamber will give you the capacity you'll need as these little guys grow.

I have Eheim cannisters which are primarily bio filters. Many people like the Aqua Clears that hang on the back.. bio wheels are good for bio capacity too, but not sure how they hold up anymore.

Start with the autofeeder though :)

Jim

PS. tpl*co is right.. bigalsonline.com has great prices on filters :)

bee
06-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Well, that's the thing. I could buy both (ssshhhh, don't let my husband know) ;) . I just wanted to make sure I have the best setup for my discus with filtration. I know the auto feeder is a luxury; hence, is my filtration fine the way I have it now or is a hang on back also a luxury too?

tpl*co
06-16-2005, 08:31 PM
LOL, I wouldn't consider either a luxury, plus I love my python water changer too ;). (and I don't tell my husband what I spend either LOL).

Carol_Roberts
06-17-2005, 03:22 PM
If you work away from home get the Eheim autofeeder first. Next month get rid of the canister filter and buy an Aqua Clear 110. I buy online from www.petsolutions.com or www.drsfostersmith.com You will want to get on the catalog mailing list too :)

bee
06-17-2005, 03:48 PM
I work from home. Am away some days during a feeding say lunchtime and just wanted to have the bases covered for feeding. Plan on being home for the first month or so to give them the attention they need. Just wondered which of the two would be more crucial to my looking after the babies.

Carol_Roberts
06-17-2005, 04:09 PM
I'd get the Aqua Clear then if You're home to feed most days :)

Anonapersona
06-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I'd keep the 303. That is a lot of biofiltration you have there, add a thin sponge to the inlet to keep larger food bits from being sucked up, or else plan on turning the tank power off at most feedings.

Actually, the Penguin 330 will tend to suck food up also, I typically turn mine off on the 105 gallon discus tank. If you get the clamshell type frames that hold cut to fit pads that Marinland sells for them, you can save a lot on cartridges. At least the Penguin will start right back up when you turn it on, the AC can be fussy and need a little poke, though if you add a sponge to the inlet you can leave it running I suppose. I felt that really wasted a lot of food as it seemed to be pulled so far down into the sponge that the fish were not able to pick it all out. Maybe it depends on the pore size of the sponge and the power of the AC.

As for filtration, I think you have it pretty close to right, I run a HOT 250 with biomedia in the cage, plus a Hydro sponge, plus a Penguin 330 with cut pads in an overstocked barebotttom 105 gallon tank -- have 16 adults there now but will be selling off 5 or 6 next week -- if I can bear to part with any of them!

Cosmo
06-17-2005, 09:10 PM
If you can buy both... buy both :D

WE won't tell :p

Billionzz
06-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi, I'm rather new to discus but not to fish keeping and I am curious as to why the hang on filters are often recommended over canister filters.

I have both on different tanks and they all seem to work well but on my main tank (120g planted discus) I run a couple Eheims on it and a sump. The reason I do this is because the Eheims seem to do a much better job of filtration.

Is the reason that you recommend the hang on filters because they are easier to clean?

Bill

Eddie
06-18-2005, 01:18 AM
Hey there billionz,
I'm not an expert on why the hang on the back filters are preferred over the canisters but I've read the pros and cons. It seems that the canisters are more prone to having grime build up faster and it's tougher to keep them clean. Thus affecting water quality. Hang on the back filters are just much easier to keep clean. I'm sure there are alot more reasons but the experts can give you that.

HTH
Eddie

Cosmo
06-18-2005, 08:15 AM
I'm with you Billionzz, love my Eheims :)

They may be a tad more work to clean, but they're not THAT difficult once you get your system down. Only place I can think of "gunk" building up would be in the tubing, which hang on the backs don't have, but that's why they make the brushes :D