PDA

View Full Version : Yay, fish arriving Monday

traco
06-29-2005, 06:03 PM
My tank is set and I get babies from Barb on Monday :D :D :D :D

Levels are 0 for ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate is around 40 which will go down with my big water change before the fish come.

If I get seven fish, I would be okay in a 65 gallon for when they are adults? Just more water changes? Haven't even got them and can see why people go with bigger and more tanks!!

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions and especially to Barb Newell for her time and answering my emails!!!

Barb

Mountain Man
06-29-2005, 07:13 PM
well I can see how you are getting excited over the arrival!

I could say Yay, fish ariving Sunday ....also from Barb..... Have a 90gal tank ready for them !

parameters are all A-1 and ready for the new babies!
looking forward to this batch of young ones!

so from Atlantic Canada to the Pacific Barb's babies will cover from Ocean to Ocean on the Canada Day weekend! what a way to Celebrate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

alpine
06-29-2005, 08:35 PM
For what I hear you are all getting your fish from a very reputable and first class breeder ....

roberto.

RyanH
06-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Barb,

A 65 will be fine for 7 fish.

Be sure to post some pics when they get settled in. :)

traco
06-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Oh, see. Mountain Man is already ahead of me with a bigger tank ;) I mentioned here at home tonight that "maybe I should get a bigger tank before I get the fish?" and had two men looking at me like I was crazy. Something along the lines of "you've already got a tank. Why do you need a bigger one?" Non fish people, you know.

So, I have coming 1 solid blue, 2 red and 2 blue turqs, 2 gold pidgeon. I'll post pics if I can figure out how to download to this forum. Fine with sending pics as email attachments; guess I have to do some reading. Fairly easy?

Thanks for the replies. I'm going from my son graduating from school this weekend to being a new mom again on Monday with my baby discus :) Glad I found this site and found so many helpful people. Plus a big thank you to Barb. I haven't even got my fish yet but I was lucky to find her. As a good breeder and has been quick and helpful with all my emails.

So, I have the weekend to do some more reading (no one warned me about the "you get one question figured out, then up pops the next one" syndrome) up on aged water as it sounds like that is way better for babies rather than straight into the tank from the tap. Also, daily is better with how much taken out? Quarter of a tank, third of a tank?

Thanks everyone!!!

Barb

RyanH
06-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey Barb,

This link should help you with learning to post pics:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=21447

And here is instructions on resizing your pics (you'll need to do this to get them to post on the boards.)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=38346

I change 70% of the water on my juvenile tanks almost every day (6 days a week usually).

hth :)

-Ryan

ed8t
06-30-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm excited for you Barb. This hobby sure tests your patience. It'll make the holiday weekend pass by so much slower. It sounds like a very nice combination that you've ordered.

I have 10 juvies in a 65 gallon and I change 50% of the water everyday. They're getting to the size that I should be selling 3 or 4 off, but it's tough to part with any of them.

Carol_Roberts
06-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Your tank size if just fine for now Barb. Most likely you will want another tank soon ;)

KD
06-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Congrats!!!!!
Always a wonderful feeling --- New Babies!!!
I started with a 90 gallon , now have a 65 additional- LOL!!
Also a 30 for possible breeding???? Oh and a 20 for hospital.
This is just a start and a good one!!!!!!!
Lots of luck and post some pics.
I use snapfish and transfer them to my desktop to post.

Barb Newell
06-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Both flights are booked!

Barb, they'll be fine in your 65 gallon. They're just babies. They'll be a little timid for a day or two because they're coming from a group of over 100 brothers and sisters. Give them a couple of clay pots to hide behind, and in. They like pothos roots as well. Call me if you have any problems.

Some Hikari bloodworms will interest them and..... . You're very welcome.:) They're eating a variety of good quality flake from angelsplus and jehmco, homemade beefheart with vitamins, Hikari bloodworms, soaked tetrabits.

Bernie and Peggy.... sounds like you're all ready for your new babies. I sent you my phone # as well.

Barb :)

Eddie
07-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Man, you guys are getting me excited! :D I'm moving this November so I can't make any purchases at the present time. You are all so lucky, I'm jealous! :D

Mountain Man
07-03-2005, 08:22 PM
our babies have arived and are doing great ! they were in top shape ! very well packed ! they adjusted in no time and as you can see made themself at home already ! we are very happy with those babies ! Thanks Barb you did a wonderful job !

Mountain Man
07-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Well Traco , you will be happy im sure as those babies are just great ! tomorow its your turn .............wow ! what a feeling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

traco
07-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks, Bernie.

Lunch tomorrow is when I pick them up. How many/what colors did you get?

I'll post pics once they settle in. Tank is ready and just waiting!!

Thanks for the pic.

Barb

traco
07-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Did a 90% water change today, didn't squeeze sponges but did wipe down airline tubing and heater, rinsed prefilters in tap water. Just tested water

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 10

I still have my canister filter running along with Penguin and sponge. I'm thinking waiting a month before taking away the canister filter but cleaning sponges inside while it is still running.

The nitrate has come down from 50 to 10. I would imagine with daily water changes when the babies come, it should come down further.

Barb Newell
07-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Bernie, I'm amazed that they're out 'exploring' their new surroundings already.
Your rose red x snakeskin crosses spent almost 10 hours in their shipping bags today... long day for them.

They'll get their colour back as soon as they recover from the 'jet lag', and their netting scrapes will heal up quickly. Soon they'll be attacking the front of the tank as you approach LOL

Barb

Mountain Man
07-04-2005, 07:50 AM
hi everyone ! these are Barb's babies this morning ..........busy cleaning up the bloodworms and a bit of staple food ! They are at home as if they were born here ! colours are coming up already and just over 8 hours in the tank!

sure is quality fish Barb !

will keep updating!

Barb Newell
07-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks Bernie. They look great, and what a spotless new home they have :)... and a good new dad and mom! Good talking to you and Peggy! Let me know when Peggy wants some baby koi, I've got about 200 good eggs.

Would love to see a pic of the babies tomorrow :)

Barb

Moon
07-04-2005, 12:04 PM
I went through this about 18 months ago when I got my first discus from Barb. I was luck enough to pick the ones I wanted from the litter. I have about 20 of Barb's fish at different stages of growth. All are doing well without a single loss.
Good luck with the babies I am sure they will grow colour up and give you many hours of fish watching pleasure.

traco
07-04-2005, 06:06 PM
Got them home safe and sound. No problems with shipping and they were packed up tight. No leakages and bags were still warm with the heat pack. In the tank and starting to come out a bit. Going to give them some food in a bit. Will take pics soon and post. They look awesome and healthy.

Thank you so much, Barb. A lot of work for you but the end result is worth it all, I hope. So glad I got my fish from you; you've been a big help with my questions and I'm glad I ordered from you. These little guys are gorgeous; can't wait til they calm down a bit and I can start to see their markings/colors.

This is like Christmas morning for me!! :D :D :D :D

Barb

Barb Newell
07-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks Joe :) LOL and... as soon as my breeders room is done, the red checkerboards are ready to make babies, finally, they've had wigglers.

Hi Barb, I'm so glad they arrived safely and hope you enjoy them :) If you have any problems you have my phone #. Give me a call. Watch your ammonia and nitrites closely for a few days.

A lot of work for you but the end result is worth it all, I hope. So glad I got my fish from you; you've been a big help with my questions and I'm glad I ordered from you. These little guys are gorgeous

Yep, they are hard work and demanding to raise.. the end result is worth it all when another person loves and respects these amazing fish.

can't wait til they calm down a bit and I can start to see their markings/colors.

They'll get more gorgeous as they grow, that's the fun part.... watching them grow up and colour up naturally (no hormones in any way-- feed or water GUARANTEED)!

When they've settled in would love to see some pics :)

Barb

Northwestcoastdisc
07-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Way to go BARB !!!

Barb ( traco ),

for start 7 or 9 2" to 3 1/2" discus in 65 gallon tank would be fine , unitl they will grow at 4 inches you need to get a bigger tank.

the 90 gallon tank and bigger are not easy to find the cheaper price but The 90 gallon and bigger tanks are awesome very thick glass cost is really very expensive.

A brand new 90 gallon tank for $ 400.00 plus tax I am not sure.

I have a brand new 135 gallon its 6 feet long by 18 inches wide by 25 inches tall. Another a brand new tank it s 125 gallon its 4' by 24" wiide by 25" tall. Both tanks are never use it.

Good luck with your new discus !

Duncan

P.S. Good news two pairs are going to have babies but they are not ready go:)

Barb Newell
07-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi Duncan, am working on those spawns for you. My 'breeders room' is torn up right now, new shelves, new water system... and my pairs aren't impressed. It should be done this week and I'll get them spawning then send your babies.

Barb

dshopper
07-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Congrats on your new fish
you guys are killing me - as I have to wait until Thursday for Barb's Beauties to come to my house....

Good luck with the fish
Dwayne

Barb Newell
07-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Dwayne... your discus have a D on their tails

PS The baby orange koi (blushing) angels are really nice...I'll do my best to pack your boxes to make room to send you some.

:smash: You have to shave the blood worms for them though.... cuz they're still fussy and still small enough that they can get away with it... LOL

turkis
07-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi everybody,
Buying from Barb and you are getting quality discus & angels, I wish I have room in my tanks otherwise I'll purchase some and she lives at a short distance from my place.
I may have to make some arrangement with her to see her set up, but I'm waiting for some of her bristlenose plecos maybe around 300 of them to ship overseas.
Mario

traco
07-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Here is a pic of my new little ones!! I love them and I can see that they are going to be a real time waster here :) They are all healthy and eating. Still a bit shy hence, the photos showing them behind the pots but that's okay. They are slowly coming around to the front, I figure a couple of days and they should feel more comfortable.

Not the greatest photos but didn't want to take too many trying to get a good one. Didn't want to stress them too much.

Again, I love em and am thankful I found Barb for my breeder!! She's been great dealing with. Would recommend her to anyone.

The only regret I have is I should have listened to my "inner" voice and gotten 9 or 10 instead of the 7. King Ed's has a 90 gallon there for $230.00. Nothing I can find used around here with my dimensions I need. I would like to stay with just Barb. I was lucky to find her; no worries about disease or parasites.

Enjoy and if I can figure out how to attach more than one photo, I'll send more.

Barb

Barb Newell
07-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks Mario :)

Barb, they're cuties! They'll be out soon. They're making good use of your pots LOL

Barb

traco
07-05-2005, 06:31 PM
A few hours later, and out they are starting to come :) :) :)

Did a small water change, can now see why BB is better. No food left lying around but at least I know they are going to the bathroom fine ;) . Wouldn't see that if gravel were in my tank.

discus4moi
07-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi all,
I will definetly have to agree with you all. Barb has the best, disease free, friendly discus I have ever obtained. She is a wealth of knowledge and is more then willing to help you out. I was one of the unfortunate ones that bought my first discus in a pet store, only to lose one and if I had not come across Barb I am sure I would have lost the second one. She advised me as to what the problem was and how to medicate and treat this discus,even though it was not one of her own. I have since bought my discus from Barb and have had no problems of any kind. She has taught me what to look for in a good quality discus and what kind of problems might arise and the importance of water quality.
I would never go anywhere else now to obtain discus. If anyone is interested in QUAILTY discus, look no further. I just can not thank her enough for all she has done for me and continues to do!!
She also has beautiful angelfish which I have also received from her breeding stock. I also was lucky enough to get a few adults and right away I had a pair . They are now the parents of about 100 fry and the parents have raised them from the beginning and are now 4 weeks old and have started showing their dorsal fins and colours. Once again if I wasn't sure what to do Barb was always willing to help out as this was the first angelfish spawn for me .
So, if anyone needs EXCELLENT KNOWLEDGE and EXCELLENT DISCUS or ANGELS get in touch with Barb.
Once again Barb thanks so much for all you have done for me and my fish.
Take care. Cathy

turkis
07-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Hi Barb,
You have very nice fish and look at all the compliments from the buyers.
Keep it up and good luck on your sales.
Mario

Barb Newell
07-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Thank you!

A couple more pics of the baby koi

Barb Newell
07-06-2005, 01:13 PM
x

Barb Newell
07-06-2005, 01:14 PM
c

tag
07-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Wow... nice fish for you :) . You're lucky I didn't see those ;) .... ho hum...if I only had the room to keep them all!!!

I have many of Barb's fish :D . I wouldn't trade them for the world. There's a HUGE difference in these home grown babies where all kinds of time is put forth to ensure amazing discus for others as well as the best start to successful keeping...that's what Barb offers. A discus' start is the key...without health and happiness from the start, it's always an uphill battle and not a very enjoyable one. It was said here on simply once that a sick fish is always a sick fish.... so you get the best start that you can. Watching Barb I really thought she kept every discus for herself given the amount of tender care she gives her fish on an individual basis...that's quite the chore in groups of 100's but she does it. She's almost as amazing as her discus ;) .Those of us who have had the grace of Barb's discus and ongoing support know this for sure.

Thanks Barb for taking the time to raise such beautiful discus for all to enjoy. You're the best!!!

Take care

Tina

Barb Newell
07-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks Tina!

Those babies slipped by you LOL I've still got 'Bubbles' though.