PDA

View Full Version : No one said "And more shall follow ..." !!!

traco
07-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Haven't even got my 65 stocked and have been thinking of upgrading to a 90 gallon later (if funds and talking the two men of the house into it)!!

This would be months down the road; Sept/Oct by the time the tank stand is built (again, when I can coerce the men here to build one).

It's been like a kid going into a candy store with picking the discus to go into my tank (Barb, you make it too hard with all your varieties :) )

Have seven picked, toying with adding maybe an eighth one. The one thing I want is to have the number in my tank to be happy as adults; no overcrowding, no fighting, no stress. Especially if I can achieve what you people have with the size your adults turn out to.

My husband is no help "why don't you get just one or two?" To which I replied "well, why don't you put a stock V6 in your 454 truck? Would be better on gas, wouldn't it, honey?" :)

So, a word of caution to newcomers. Beware of the "gotta get a bigger tank" syndrome. Read of people doing this and thought, I don't need that. I'll just stay with what I have. Yah, right!

Take care.

Barb

RyanH
07-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Discus are alot like Heroin in many ways I'm afraid. :D

I started with a 65 gallon tank when I was still keeping African Cichlids. Now I'm running 9 tanks all with Discus. I don't keep Africans at all anymore.

It's an addictive hobby. There's no question about it. It's really easy to fall in love with these fish and once the Discus bug bites you it's all over. :)

Cosmo
07-05-2005, 09:48 PM
get yourself an acrylic... much lighter :)

tpl*co
07-06-2005, 10:28 AM
LOL, after a sleep deprived weekend, just set up my 60 to move some young fish from my 30 gallon (since I have new fish that need to be quarantined in my 30 tomorrow) I also have a 50 that has more discus, and I still drool over any tank over 100! LOL, it never ends. If I can only convince my other half to get me that 140 gallon bowfront, LOL. Watch my fish pair up and I'll have baby 20 gallons sprouting all over the place! LOL.

wolfbane
07-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Boy, it really is true! I got my first discus in November, had them in 2 29s, figured when they grew up some, I would sell off a few (I had 14) and put the keepers in the 55 I had. WELL.................. after nursing some through hex, I found I couldn't part with any of the 10 left, so I sold the 55 and bought a 150 tall. :D Hubby nearly fainted when I brought it home, still calls it the baptism pool, but it is so kewl!! Its a work in progress, but I can't think of anything I'd rather do in my spare time. If I could just figure out what I'm gonna do when some of them pair up!!
Debbie

tpl*co
07-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Boy, it really is true! I got my first discus in November, had them in 2 29s, figured when they grew up some, I would sell off a few (I had 14) and put the keepers in the 55 I had. WELL.................. after nursing some through hex, I found I couldn't part with any of the 10 left, so I sold the 55 and bought a 150 tall. :D Hubby nearly fainted when I brought it home, still calls it the baptism pool, but it is so kewl!! Its a work in progress, but I can't think of anything I'd rather do in my spare time. If I could just figure out what I'm gonna do when some of them pair up!!
Debbie

LOL, put the pairs into smaller tanks and get more discus to put back into the 150! :)

oodi
07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Psssssst, Barb...

MORE SHALL FOLLOW!!! :D

Judi
:p

traco
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Yes, more have followed. Now looking at a 90 gallon and will have a total of 10 discus. But that is it!! :D :D :D No really. I'm not kidding. But then again, I'll still have my 65 gallon which will be vacant, hmmm.... No, just kidding. Or am I?

Barb