PDA

View Full Version : What's the best heater to use?

Bainbridge Mike
07-06-2005, 02:31 AM
It seems that several folks have had heaters stick in the on position with terrible results. I have used Ebos for the last couple of years, without any trouble. I did purchase one that had a short--but that is easy enough to discover and fix (replace). Is there anything better? Has anyone had a bad experience with titanium heaters? Is there any consensus as to the best type/brand of heater for use in a discus tank?

Mike

RyanH
07-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey Mike,

I still use Ebo's as well. I really prefer the old ones though. I haven't had the greatest luck with the new Eheim "Jagers". :( Eheim is known for quality products. Hopefully they'll get their act together with their heaters.

I've been using Pro Heat Titaniums more and more lately and have been impressed with them. One 250 watt has had no problems keeping a 75 warm. It's also nice to have the controller out of the water but they do take up a ton of space on a power strip.

I did learn one thing about the titaniums the hard way. A probe got exposed to the air while I was changing water one day and I almost cooked some fish. :o

Important safety tip: keep the probe lower in the water than the heater. :)

hth
-Ryan

April
07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Hydors. they are great.
i also use visitherms..they heat well..but if you get them out of the water by mistake..they crack when the water hits them again..and they get very very hot ...ive ruined all mine..as im not very conscientious about turning them off..or watching the water level.
Hydors are like ebos.they shut off if out of the water. so far..seem very consistant and keep the water a nice even temp.

Jeff
07-06-2005, 10:56 AM
I have been using Hydors for a while now. I have had a few fail, but overall I like them.

CARY_GLdiscus
07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
me too!

but I still have lots of the old ebos

hth
Cary Gld!

Bainbridge Mike
07-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will try proheat titaniums on my big tanks and hydors on my little tanks.

Mike

tpl*co
07-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I've had a hydor stick on me too. I use a pro-heat on my planted tank with good results (except some female discus like to lay eggs on them). I've also seen good reviews and I am using some stealth heaters (except you can't tell when they are on!).

Eddie
07-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Ebo's got my vote. The new ones have been working well for me but then again I've only got 4 tanks. They are a bit off from the settings but once you get them on, they stick to it.

BigDaddy
07-06-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm using the new Stealth heaters from Aquarium Systems. I just like the fact that if I'm doing a water change and forget to unplug it, I'm not going to have shattered glass all over the place.

However, as others have noted before, they do seem to take longer to bring the temp up to where you need it. Once you get it there, your fine, but if there are big swings in your atmospheric temp, you might be in trouble.

Elcid
07-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Last year I bought 3 WON Brothers LCD Titanium heaters thinking they are the best heater around. Boy was I wrong! Now I only have one operational. Here are the negatives as far as I'm concerned:

(1) I got shocked, make sure you turn it off before you change water.
(2) When the water level accidently falls exposing the heater it gets fire log hot and once cool it turns an ugly brown smoldered look. Again, turn it off when changing water to be safe.
(3) Controller failure - Make sure you keep that controller unit in a dry moisture free place (difficult with discus). The one I had in tank cabinet (that also houses a wet dry resulting in a somewhat humid environment) failed after 6 months. One day my fish were dark, I look an no LED temp indication!
(4) Keep that thermocouple away from the heater, I melted one of mine :)

Okay, I still have one working out of 3.....and I'm certainly not buying more!

YMMV
Sandeep

gators111
07-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I have a via-aqua titanium and have been quite happy with it with the seperate thermostat. I just got a hydor external heater and like it so far. Just a little nervous about having more possible leak points.

wolfbane
07-07-2005, 04:44 PM
I gave up on Hagen's heaters, they all went on me within 6 months, now I have Rena Cal Excels, so far so good. I switch off the power strip when I do water changes, don't want the water level to get lowered and then the heaters to break, I don't trust any heater. Lost 2 juvies in a hospital tank when the heater, a Hagen, stuck on during the night.

Debbie

Spices
07-07-2005, 07:02 PM
It seems that several folks have had heaters stick in the on position with terrible results. I have used Ebos for the last couple of years, without any trouble. I did purchase one that had a short--but that is easy enough to discover and fix (replace). Is there anything better? Has anyone had a bad experience with titanium heaters? Is there any consensus as to the best type/brand of heater for use in a discus tank?

Mike

Hi Mike,

My response to your question: "A working one."
:D

Just kidding... I like the Tronics and Visio. Been using them two for long time. One of mines just gave in so I had to replace it. It's been a good two years before it went "poof".
*A*

leeg
07-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Hydors. they are great.
i also use visitherms..they heat well..but if you get them out of the water by mistake..they crack when the water hits them again..and they get very very hot ...ive ruined all mine..as im not very conscientious about turning them off..or watching the water level.
Hydors are like ebos.they shut off if out of the water. so far..seem very consistant and keep the water a nice even temp.

My visitherm of 2 years cracked 3 weeks ago while I was on business trip for a week, shattered glass everywhere and worse yet temperature fluctuated to around 73F, Thank Goodness I did not loose any discus. I later bought a 250W ebo and so far so good.

Tad
07-09-2005, 10:36 PM
To Quote the title of the topic "What's the best heater to use?" :( ..I myself am beginning to believe that there is NO heater on the market today that is worth a damn...If we define "Best" as one that keeps consistent heat, durable, dependable, built in safety features, Fair value or cost, aftermarket support from manufacture, last more than 2 years etc.....then there is NO "Best" IMO....I personally have been using Visitherms for the last few years after disasters with Tronics, Ebos and a whole list of others....The last batch of glass Visitherms all went out by breakage in less than one year...the New Stealths gave me hope until two 200Ws went out simultaneously two weeks ago in my grow out tank...:mad: ....to be honest Im more than willing to pay $$$$$$$ for a heater that meets my "Best" Criteria as Im tired of the ongoing replacing of heaters....

JMO,
Tad

john2gs
07-27-2005, 01:07 PM
I use a pair of 250 watt Pro heat II titanium heaters.

both titanium heaters are positioned on opposite side of my tank.

It has been 2 years now, and I encountered no problems...

plus I like the fact that you can control them outside the tank...and gives you a digital read-out of the temp...