PDA

View Full Version : When do you remove a filter?

traco
07-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Have had my tank up and running for about 1 1/2 months. From day one had a canister filter running and then added a sponge filter, then a Penguin 300. Both power filters have prefilters on them rinsed daily. When can I take off the canister filter?

I have had my fish for only a couple of days but do 50% water changes daily and so far, my tank has shown 0 ammonia and nitrite. My nitrates were around 50 before I added my fish and has gone down to around 15. Canister filter causing the nitrates? Have cleaned my sponge and canister filters a couple of times.

Can I remove safely now and not have to worry about any spikes?

Thanks..

Barb

gators111
07-08-2005, 08:44 AM
You can remove your filter, but why? If you are removing it b/c of nitrates, then that is a mistake. All of the filters are creating nitrates, including any hoses, heaters, airstones, substrate, or anything else in the aquarium. Your sponge filter is probably creating more nitrates than anything else. That's b/c of the nitrogen-fixing bacteria growing in the tank. That bacteria will grow on anything it can attach to, especially in a slow flowing, highly oxygenated area, such as a sponge filter. IMO I would keep the canister, unless it is a real pain to maintain. You can never have enough filtration.

traco
07-08-2005, 09:23 AM
I want to remove it for ease of cleaning and priming the bloody thing!! My sponges are much easier to keep clean and no problems priming. Plus the intake and outtake hoses aren't fun to take apart and clean. I have no problem with the wiping down the surfaces of everything in the tank. That is fairly easy.

More the convenience/ease of cleaning was why I want to get rid of the canister.

traco
07-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Oops, just read over my reply. Saying "priming the bloody thing" meant just that. I curse and swear while trying to get it going again after a water change.

I hope Gators 111 did not take offence and think I was being rude to you :) I wasn't speaking to you literally when I made that quote. Speaking about the "bloody" canister filter.

Apologies.

Barb

Northwestcoastdisc
07-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi Barb,

I agreed with gators111.

Have you been use your canister filters for 1 1/2 month with live fish in your tank?

I don't need any canister filters in my hatchery, Its too much working.. I perfer hydro sponge filters are easier to work and keep them clean.

My best friend he use a canister filter 304 in his 33 gallon tank he usally to clean canister filter once a month. He has 3 beauitful big discus right now. He said that he does not w/c lots but he does w/c at 50% once a week. His discus have been spawning so latley, He said that his tank are very keep clean and no problems.

better do not listen to my friends, better listen to me, Barb newell, Ryan, Cary, April, etc are knowegly about discus and keep happy healthy..

ShinShin
07-08-2005, 07:13 PM
If you have nitrate readings, your bio-filter is established. Nitrate is the end product of the nitrogen cycle. You can remove the canister filter if you desire. I agree, they are more of a pain than anything else. Keep a check on the nitrites. If they start to register, your bio-filter after removal of the canister, needs to develope more. Simply increase water changes for a few days. If you still have problems, you need more substrate (sponge) for colonazation.

Mat

BigDaddy
07-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Actually, the important question is how long have the other two filters been on the tank.

You mention the canister has been on for 6 weeks, but if the other two have only been on a few days or a week, they may not be well "seeded". You could wind up with a mini or a complete cycle again.

If, however, your other filters have been on for at least 3 weeks, there is a good chance you'll have little or no cycling effects if you remove the canister.

traco
07-08-2005, 09:40 PM
The canister filter has been from the beginning, the sponge filter was maybe 3 weeks ago and the penguin about a week and a bit ago. So, I'll keep the canister filter going for a bit longer for safety plus I now have the fish in the tank. Had no ammonia or nitrite problems spikes since adding the fish, so "fishless cycle" really does work!! :)

Just seemed to take forever. But glad I waited. Proof is in the pudding as now adding the fish, the system can handle it. But still checking daily this next week just to keep an eye on how things are being handled.

Have got another hydro sponge and will put in the tank also to get it going. Right now probably better to have too much than not enough. Plus daily water changes.

Barb

BigDaddy
07-09-2005, 09:23 AM
The hydro is probably good to go, but certainly always a good thing to err on the side of caution.

Carol_Roberts
07-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Safest is to wait two weeks from date new discus added then remove canister :)