PDA

View Full Version : am i too overcrowded?

leeg
07-11-2005, 11:21 PM
I know the general rule for discus is 1 discus per 10 gallons so anyways I have 3 semi-medium sized discus, with 2 medium angelfish, 2 pea puffers, 10 cardinal tetra's and 1 albino kribensis in a 38 gallon tank equipped with a Aquarclear 300, ebo jaguar 200w heater set at 84F w/live plants and gravel.

Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia is at acceptable levels, do 30% water changes every week

Suggestions welcome.

chris allsop
07-12-2005, 11:53 AM
i would yes but each tank is different.
I have a 50ish gallon tank with 4 discus 3 to 5 inch 3 tetre 3 siemise fighters 3 cories and a hipo cat.

tarantula
07-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Betta splendens or Siamese Fighting
pea puffers
angelfish

This fish are NOT good tank mates for discus you should take off. Discus do better in groups of 6 or more. The cardinal tetra is ok but your tank is too small.

At this point you should think: what kind fish or aquarium I want keep? If you want a community tank discus are not an option.

BigDaddy
07-12-2005, 05:16 PM
"Community tank discus are not an option"

Not the case. You just have to pick your community a bit more selectively.

gmcrow
07-12-2005, 09:11 PM
I have been a firm believer over the years that Discus in captivity, should not be in a community tank, there are to many chances of parasistes, and or diseases being introduced from fish coming from unknown sources, this is just my opinion :bandana:

leeg
07-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Actually everything seems to be getting along quite well since I started the tank 2 months ago, and none of my fish died (well one of my neon tetra's died 3 weeks ago) However I do not plan to add any more fish except for an algae eater until I upgrade to a larger tank in the future.

Thanks for all the advice