PDA

View Full Version : alternative BB idea???

agave60
07-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Hello,
I'm setting up a 125gallon and would like to know if anyone has heard of the following idea. I love the sand look, but also love the ease of BB cleaning, so I'm thinking there should be a way of using glue/silicone to spread over the bottom of the tank then sprinkle sand on top of it. The final result would give me the sand look and the benefits of a BB tank. I've searched but haven't found anything. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Carlos

MoOcHiE525
07-16-2005, 10:48 AM
That idea might be a pain in the neck for a couple of reasons. It might take a while to layer the sand to the desired height (One or two inches). Your fish may even scrape themselves if they get spooked. You might want to spray paint the bottom of the tank with an off white-cream color to have the same effect with the ease of a bare bottom tank. I would vote against this idea.
Mike

blaze
07-16-2005, 10:51 AM
i thought of that some while ago, didn't try it though........too many forseeable problems

jeep
07-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Just buy some Stone Creations and paint the glass. Looks like sand but is BB... Much less work too...

kazkirk
07-16-2005, 03:58 PM
The salt water people do this all the time, they mix sand and epoxy, then pour it (very carefully!) into the tank. Looks great and super easy to clean!

agave60
07-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. The thought of the discus scraping themselves hadn't crossed my mind, but I totally agree with it. I went to home depot last night and picked up two cans of Stone Creations, they have a really nice sand color. I'll paint the tank tonight and let you know how it came out. I'll maybe paint a piece of plexi and then slide it under the center brace to create a seamless bottom.

Thanks again,
Carlos