PDA

View Full Version : questions ???

alpine
07-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I will be gone four days.Going somewhere in Texas. Have 2 sets of juveniles in 75 gallon tanks. have eheim feeders. Should I do twice a day, once a day , three times a day feedings ??. I wonder if maybe none at all ? I am worry about water quality. I will be using tetra color bits(they dispense very well) .
Should I leave the lites on ?
Any other suggestion ?

Thanks,
roberto.

dirk50merc
07-18-2005, 04:40 PM
roberto,
When I travel I set feeders to once a day to avoid any over feeding or uneaten food that will foul the tank, in addition I would suggest putting your lights on a timer as not to stress the fish.

error on the side of not enough is way better than too much, your fish can go that period without eating so once a day should keep them content till you can return them to the usual feeding schedule. Oh do at least a 50% water change before leaving and upon returning home.

I also use a backup heater just in case one fails while I'm not there. Have a great trip.

Dirk

Carol_Roberts
07-20-2005, 10:13 AM
I leave the lights off and feed a bit less than normal. I also do a big water change before I leave and after I return

korbi_doc
07-20-2005, 03:34 PM
:D I pretty much do the same as Dirk & Carol, exc. my lights are on timers & I set'm for just couple hours. With juvies, I feed 2-3 x/day lightly & do the large W/Cs before & after I get back....my tanks have plenty of filtration & lotsa airstones & sponge filters, so I haven't had any problems with air or fouling of water... JMO, Dottie