PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/2 days without attention

markwill
07-20-2005, 03:33 PM
I am SURE this is buried in these forums somewhere but I've been caught unawares and so I need to make a decision rather quickly. Any help appreciated...

The people I had lined up to feed my fish while I am away on vacation (I had two options) turn out to be away themselves. So, at this stage I plan to leave my tank completely unattended. Thankfully, I am only away from Friday morning till Monday evening. The messages I have read here suggest that this won't be a major problem from a water change perspective. Any disagreement (I'll do a water change on the morning I leave)?

Also, I just ordered a Eheim Auto Feeder (looks by far the best, judging by comments here). However, it won't arrive till after my vacation (duh!!!) since I couldn't find any local shop that stocked it. Any specific problems with not feeding my discus for the duration? Again, it looks like most people wouldn't see a problem here - just wanting to double-check since this will be my first time away from my new tank :-)

Finally, do I give my fish plenty to eat on the Thursday night and Friday morning (to help them get through the vacation without food) - or is that offset by the extra waste they will produce?

Paranoid? Me? I guess... :-)

Mark

kazkirk
07-20-2005, 05:26 PM
I left my fish for 6 days without attention, but they had an auto feeder. I came back to a mess of a tank, but everyone was happy and I could actually see they had grown.
For 3 days, I wouldnt worry about food, just fatten them up nicely in the meantime. This way you are also cutting down on the amount of waste they are producing.

Carol_Roberts
07-20-2005, 06:22 PM
For three days they will be fine. Feed on Thursday and Friday - water change friday AM and upon return

Willie
07-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Its better not to feed. Using an automated feeder for the first time you are away can be dangerous.

Willie

Bainbridge Mike
07-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Its better not to feed. Using an automated feeder for the first time you are away can be dangerous.

Willie

I second that! The first time I used an auto feeder, it dumped about 3 tablespoons of tetrabits in the tank! I had the little door too far open.

Mike

markwill
07-20-2005, 07:02 PM
As I mentioned, my auto feeder doesn't arrive till after I get back from vacation. So that sounds like its not a bad thing :-)

My only options are therefore to a) find someone to feed them or b) go without food for 3 days. It looks b) is the best choice. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Mark

korbi_doc
07-20-2005, 08:17 PM
:D That's a very short time, they should be ok... the only ones I worried 'bout were babies, & the 1st time I left'm, put the auto-feeder on the night before, had not used one before, & as Willie & Mike stated, I did the same thing, came home to a tank full of mulm, filters just loaded with it! But I was lucky, had lotsa air with stones & sponge filters & HOT, so they did ok.. That's where the Vortex diatom came in handy, fixed up in less than 8 hours! & I was amazed that they had all grown a bunch over the 4 days!!!!! So, I third the motion! Use it before you need it!!! Many ppl leave'm & don't feed at all... have a good time!! Dottie

KIWI13
07-21-2005, 02:23 AM
Hello there, I think you pretty much have your answers. Don't panci though, fish are far more resistant than we give them credit for.

As long as you keep the filtering up and the aeration up and the temp is steady, fish can go a good 3 days without eating. You know in their natural habitat, they do not have the same pleasures as tank raised fish.

Feed em normally though on thursday and friday and like Carol mentioned, it sure wouldnt hurt to do atleat a 20% water change before you hit the road. Don't feed em after the water change but preferbally before and DONT OVERFEED. By giving them alot more, it doesnt mean they will sustain the absence of food better, instead overfeeding is the cause to disease and breakouts in the tank.

Oh and most important point of all. Trust me this is the most important. Dont forget to have an awesome holiday :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Howie_W
07-21-2005, 09:16 AM

Willie

I agree with Willie.

Fish can go for a long time without feeding. If the fish will be on their own, the best thing you can do for them is to make sure the water is as clean as possible during that time frame.

If the last feeding is done well before you leave, the fish will have time to process a majority of their food. Afterwards, a final water change before you leave and the fish should be fine.

Howie

BigDaddy
07-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Most healthy fish can go a good week without a meal.

When and if I have had to black out a tank to combat BGA (planted tanks, not discus tanks), it has been a complete blackout for a full 5 days.

Pull the covers off on day 6 and all the fish inhabitants are fine.