PDA

View Full Version : painting my tanks?

fishman
07-24-2005, 07:02 PM
ok, I want to paint my breeder tanks before i move them into my new fishroom. what paint is best to use? post some pics of tanks you've painted.

billeagan
07-24-2005, 09:53 PM
I use good old rustoleum blue... I use a full can to a 29 gal tank

Barb Newell
07-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Hi fishman, I used an acrylic latex to paint some of my tanks. I used a light blue so that fry would be able to find their parents... after using those tanks, I'd never paint another tank -- too permanent.

I wish I hadn't painted my breeders tanks, sides and bottoms -- only leaving the front open -- I have my tanks lengthwise... .

Some pairs are clostrophobic! I now buy a light blue wallpaper (cheap stuff), wrap it around the breeders tanks (sides and back), leave 3 - 4" at the front where I can fold it back if I notice the pair is getting clostrophobic. They can have their privacy with their fry if they choose (in the back 2/3's -- which they love much of the time)... or spend the time checking out the other breeders tanks when they want. They seem to enjoy the choice.

I am looking at replacing the painted tanks with new wallpapered tanks, where I can adjust their enclosure.

Barb

Spices
07-25-2005, 08:24 AM
:wave:

Barb has very nice looking wallpaper. I like it when you post pictures of your OGs or BDs (actually all the fish you have).. LOL I just realized it. I thought you did the painting yourself Barb. It looks like ocean waves. :)

Good idea.

*A*

fishman
07-25-2005, 01:41 PM
I use good old rustoleum blue... I use a full can to a 29 gal tank

oooh, i like that. Ok spraypaint, what exact color? just blue?

troyclark
07-25-2005, 04:10 PM
To do all my tanks I used a good quality exterior latex paint in a light blue. I painted all glass panels except the front for viewing. I usually put at least 5 coats on (letting each coat dry completly) so light cannot penetrate and cause shadows. This keeps the fish from being startled when a fish in the next tank swims close to them. After the final coat has dried completely I use a latex based poly to protect the paint from water spillage. I didn't use this on the first few I did and water spills caused the paint to bubble and when it dried it doesn't look as good as it did. The latex based poly prevents water spills from ever touching the paint. I have done all the tanks in my fishroom this way and couldn't be happier. Best of all, if I change my mind, the latex paint will peel away from the glass with little effort. HLH

fishman
07-25-2005, 05:07 PM
when you say latex based, will polyurethane work? do you roll on? what does this paint look like on your tanks? pics?

Barb Newell
07-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Angie, I paint the ocean waves on the wallpaper :D

Barb

troyclark
07-26-2005, 01:04 PM
I use a latex based polyurethane from Minwax called polycrylic. I don't like using oil based stuff around my fish room. HTH

fishman
07-26-2005, 04:13 PM
i went out today and got some rust-oleum blue paint, i will post pics when done. :D

billeagan
07-27-2005, 07:14 PM
sorry for the late reply. I use the one with the bright blue cap. I guess I would call it a sky blue...

Tape off the tank and put paper on the sides you don't want painted. I lay the side that I'm painting horizontal to help avoid the paint from running.

The bottom I prefer to paint, I have one without and didn't like it much. I'm to lazy to empty and paint the bottom =)

make sure, in between coats, you turn the can upside down and spray just alittle to keep the head clean.

steelheaderdu
07-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Any particular reason none of you use white paint? I would think that white paint would bring out some of the colors a little better... Why light blue instead of white?

fishman
07-28-2005, 12:37 PM
it looks more natural, frankly, i've never ever seen a white painted tank before. do you have any?

steelheaderdu
07-28-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't have any yet, but within the next few months I'll be painting a bunch of tanks and don't want to screw with changing the color once it's finished. I think there was a post a few months ago that had tanks painted white... I just think white would make every fish look great. I don't particularly think a bright orange fish in a blue tank would look as good as it would in a white tank. Just a thought... I'd like to hear more.

fishman
07-28-2005, 02:41 PM
you might have something, i'll look for the post also.

fishman
07-28-2005, 02:47 PM
here is some white background tanks, posted by oodi.

fishman
07-28-2005, 02:49 PM
& another one by oodi.