PDA

View Full Version : Discus_kc new Turqs

ernest
07-30-2005, 04:51 PM
I finally took the plunge and purchased some fish that I've been afraid of keeping for years. Much thanks to Jack of Discus KC, If I hadn't found out about a local breeder in my area I wouldn't have four new beautiful Turquoise discus. It was a pleasant visit and a very impressive fish room setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/thisanthrope/Discus/73005A72dp1.jpg

My tank:

58g Oceanic
175w 5500k MH pendant
dual Fluval 304
Co2 through diy reactor
inline hydor heater
Flourite/Eco complete substrate

temp 82
ph 6.5
kh 5

Plants:
Glossostigma elatinoides, Elocharis acicularis, Eusteralis stellata, Didiplis diandra, Rotala Indica, Limnophila Indica, Rotala vietnam, Cryptocoryne balansae, Hemathius micranthemoides

Fish:
4 Turquoise discus
Otocinclus, Corydora panda, Albino Aeneus, Julii, Metae

Shrimp:
Neocaridina denticulata sinensis cherry, Caridina japonica Amano, Caridina gracilirostris

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/thisanthrope/Discus/Turq1.jpg

blaze
07-30-2005, 05:22 PM
sweet

Organic Farmer
07-30-2005, 07:40 PM
very nice set up congrads!!!

Cosmo
07-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Very very nice :)

You might want to bump up the heat to 84, as 82 is a little chilly for Discus though :)

Jim

Spices
07-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Gorgeous Tank :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:D

mench
07-31-2005, 08:37 AM
Nice tank and fish...Jack always has great fish...He has a strain of home grown spotted guys that he is working on that should be super...And it doesn't hurt that he and his partner Willie are really nice people....
One of there great ideas is to someday only deal in USA grown fish.

Mench

sunflowerdiscus
07-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Nice planted tank Ernest.

Mench - Pleasure to meet you and thanks for the coke sweetener. We'll try your favorite Chinese restaurant in KC if you visit.

Cheers
Willie Goh

ernest
07-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the comments. I'm very happy with what I got. Discus truely are kings of the aquarium. I was somewhat worried that my MH would be too much light for them but so far it doesn't seem to bother them and they are very personal, checking me out as I'm in front of the tank.

that's for the tip, I've got temps up to 84 now.

Howie_W
08-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Hi Ernest,

Congratulations! Your tank looks great. Lighting looks like it's working fine...if Discus are unhappy or bothered they usually will let you know with their stress bars.

As for temperature...there's always some room to play. I usually let the plants determine the temperature, as many species do better in cooler temps...80-84F range is not a problem.

Great job! :thumbsup:

Howie

ernest
08-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks, It's good to hear there is some leeway in this temp range. I haven't noticed any problems with the plants at this temp so far. I had gradually raised it over a couple weeks prior to purchasing the Discus.

The Discus were acclimated only two days ago and are starting to eat alittle more now, one of them more than the others. I had put all the cherry shrimp I could catch into a 10g and left the rest to fend for themselves. I was assuming the Discus would make short work out of all the 100+ cherry shrimp they could find...so far they dont seem interested. Anyone else able to keep the two cohabitating?