PDA

View Full Version : Eheim Sludge Extractor

markwill
08-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I don't see any reference on SimplyDiscus to these things:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 8254&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030062&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1123011167253

Has anyone used this equipment or have any opinions? The picture suggests that this doesn't need any water outlet - it kinda swishes the water around and, prusumably, sends through a filter. For "quick maintenance" days (where I don't want to hook up for a water change, which is over 50 feet away for me) this seems somewhat attractive.

Any thoughts?

Mark

Huy Nguyen
08-02-2005, 05:43 PM
I used it and it's a waste of money and time. It has to be attached to an inlet tube and has to be positioned exactly for it to work correctly & efficiently. However when the water evaporite, it won't work and you have to re-position it again or refill water. But it works great if you have it right. Another bad experience for me was an extra thing to clean.

HTH,
Huy

markwill
08-02-2005, 05:48 PM
I used it and it's a waste of money and time. It has to be attached to an inlet tube and has to be positioned exactly for it to work correctly & efficiently. However when the water evaporite, it won't work and you have to re-position it again or refill water. But it works great if you have it right. Another bad experience for me was an extra thing to clean.

HTH,
Huy
That's all I need to know :-) Thanks. A shame. I could see a well designed solution for this being quite helpful.

Mark

john2gs
08-02-2005, 06:00 PM

HTH,
Huy

i also feel the same way with this product...

Dave C
08-02-2005, 06:20 PM
When I owned a LFS I thought that this thing would be a boon for cleaning tanks. It was a piece of crap. Not enough power to accomplish anything.

markwill
08-02-2005, 06:27 PM
OK, so this thing looks like a waste of money. Broadening the thread a little, then, does anyone have any bright ideas or gizmo's that would help in a "quick scrub" of gravel, without going to all the hassle of (in my case) rolling a 50' tube between rooms and blasting a tap just to get enough suction.

I ain't a designer but it doesn't seem like rocket science to come up with some solution here. I just don't know what that solution is :-)

Mark

kazkirk
08-02-2005, 07:52 PM
I rigged up a broken aquaclear with the one end of the python joined to the uptake tube of the ac which is sitting on my sump, I vacuum the tank with the other end. Gravity does all the work for me, the sponge in the aquaclear catchs all the icky stuff and the clean water spills into my sump. Works wonderfully in my opinion!

john2gs
08-02-2005, 08:25 PM
I rigged up a broken aquaclear with the one end of the python joined to the uptake tube of the ac which is sitting on my sump, I vacuum the tank with the other end. Gravity does all the work for me, the sponge in the aquaclear catchs all the icky stuff and the clean water spills into my sump. Works wonderfully in my opinion!

great idea!

good job bro!

korbi_doc
08-02-2005, 09:09 PM
:D How 'bout the Vortex diatom filter? I've used it to clean such sludge out of the tanks & it's not left anywhere in the system.. I like Kazkirk's solution too! Dottie :p

john2gs
08-02-2005, 09:11 PM
:D How 'bout the Vortex diatom filter? I've used it to clean such sludge out of the tanks & it's not left anywhere in the system.. I like Kazkirk's solution too! Dottie :p

I thought vortex diatom filters are only for keeping crystal clear water? and not really into sucking dirt from gravels? :confused:

if they will be sucking dirt from gravels....will these diatom filters...get clogged right away? :confused:

Cosmo
08-02-2005, 10:31 PM
I believe Vortex has a gravel cleaning attachment available. How fast it gets clogs depends on how dirty your gravel is.. I guess :p

Jim

kazkirk
08-02-2005, 11:53 PM
great idea!

good job bro!

Thats 'good job sis' to you sir ;)

john2gs
08-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Thats 'good job sis' to you sir ;)

oooopssss sorry sis! ;)

Sindhu
08-03-2005, 06:32 AM
I did own 1 and it worked great for for few weeks and i was happy. After that the contacts wasn't any good and it keeps going on & off. I put it aside and tried to use it the other day and it's completely broken. Ckeck the battery contacts and they were fine. Would be great if it's powered by a different source instead of batteries.

The other option will be the Magnums. Not sure if the 350 is better as the 250 doesn't do a good job either, as I own one. Anyone else has better experience with the 350 for sludge removal?

Rgds
Sindhu

cowboy steve
08-06-2005, 03:48 PM
I did own 1 and it worked great for for few weeks and i was happy. After that the contacts wasn't any good and it keeps going on & off. I put it aside and tried to use it the other day and it's completely broken. Ckeck the battery contacts and they were fine. Would be great if it's powered by a different source instead of batteries.

The other option will be the Magnums. Not sure if the 350 is better as the 250 doesn't do a good job either, as I own one. Anyone else has better experience with the 350 for sludge removal?

Rgds
Sindhu
I also have a Magnum 250, with the gravel vacuum attatchment, used it once and the outflow decreased to almost zero, the sludge is too viscous and the chamber is too small so you would have to break down the filter and clean it too often.

I imagine the 350 would be the same, it just wouldn't clog as fast.

Your regular gravel siphon and a 5 gallon pail is in my opinion less hassle,

Out the door, down the sewer.