PDA

View Full Version : Nitrites - bad readings?

markwill
08-03-2005, 12:57 PM
I've stumbled across a problem that is confusing me. It's buried deep within a seperate thread (http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=44468) but I am starting a new thread because it's potentially something that is important to those who use Prime.

I have detected very high nitrites in my tank (5 ppm). I've made a number of attempts to fix this (daily 40% water changes over the past 4 days, with aged water that shows no nitrites), Prime and so on. All to no avail - the reading from my test kit remains 5 ppm (or more - that is its maximum reading). The same test kit is being used to show no nitrites with my aged water.

Given that, aside from one fish that refuses to eat, I see no negative impact on my discus, I am now beginning to wonder if I simple have a bad reading. The FAQ on Prime indicates that this is to be expected with ammonia readings, so I purchased a hang-on thingy to allow for that (my ammonia is fine). But there seems less to say that nitrite readings would be impacted by Prime. I know a good number of people are using Prime - do any of you have bad nitrite readings (false alarms) and, if so, how do you detect "true" nitrites (namely, those that put your discus at risk)?

Thanks.

Mark

Carol_Roberts
08-03-2005, 04:06 PM
If your change water is showing zero nitrates and the tank water is showing 5 ppm then a 50% water change should reduce your reading to between 2 - 3 ppm if your kit is working correctly. I have heard of false positives for ammonia, but not false positives for nitrAtes . . .

markwill
08-03-2005, 04:14 PM
If your change water is showing zero nitrates and the tank water is showing 5 ppm then a 50% water change should reduce your reading to between 2 - 3 ppm if your kit is working correctly. I have heard of false positives for ammonia, but not false positives for nitrAtes . . .
Thanks Carol. The issue I am having relates to nitrItes (nitrAtes read zero). I am doubting my test kit now, although I remain interested in whether Prime would throw off the accuracy of some test kits, like it does with ammonia.

Since my test kit goes up to 5 ppm, I guess it's technically possible that if I had readings 5 ppm the real value could actually be way more, in which case a 50% change would not have the same impact (if it was at 10 ppm then a 50% change would bring it down to 5 ppm, I think). However, I assume my fish would be horizontal rather than vertical if I had water at 10 ppm :-)

Anyway, although the majority of my fish seem to be doing fine I'm not yet comfortable that I am on top of this issue - too many unknowns for my liking while I get these strange readings.

Thanks.

Mark

Carol_Roberts
08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Sorry - I must be reading too fast, lol

rodneyfisher
10-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Sorry - I must be reading too fast, lol
I am having the exact same problem and have bought new test strips several different removers, ammo-chips, nita-zorb, even added some cycle. Still no change in nitrite levels.