PDA

View Full Version : New discus fighting

discus_invt
08-07-2005, 02:13 PM
I just set up my first discus tank and added six this week. :) The tank is a 44 gallon pentagon with live plants, one piece of real driftwood, and several lava rocks and some fake driftwood. I rapid cycled (two weeks, took a little less actually) with a bio wheel, decoration, and some gravel from a 3 year old established aquarium (just telling y'all this because I am sure someone might ask!!). I added two red turqoise, one baby blue panda, one golden dragon, one brilliant blue diamond, and one unknown (this guy was from a "mixed batch" by the breeder, and right now he looks like a mother of pearl, but they are all still devoloping their colors). They are all 2-3", though the baby blue panda is definitely the runt. My concern is that they seem to be doing a lot of fighting. :argue: It hasn't resulted in any injury yet, but I am concerned it will or may lead to injury. The white unknown seems to be doing most of the picking, chasing all the others around the tank, but the golden dragon seems to do his share as well. It happens mostly at feeding time, but not always just during that time. Please let me know if this is normal. :confused:

RyanH
08-07-2005, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about it right now. This is normal behavior while your fish establish their pecking order and usually subsides after awhile.

Carol_Roberts
08-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Yes, it should settle down quite a bit in teh next couple of weeks. Do test your ammonia for the first week to make sure your bio can handle the new load :)