PDA

View Full Version : My new wilds !!!!

jeff cannons
08-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Just picked these up last week and are in my 750l wild tank and doing well !!!
What you guys think ?

jeff cannons
08-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Another !!!

jeff cannons
08-09-2005, 01:38 PM
And another !!!

jeff cannons
08-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Last one enjoy !!!!!!

turkis
08-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi Jeff,
Very nice wild discus and very nice pictures of the aquascaping.
Mario

Sindhu
08-10-2005, 09:42 AM
G'day Jeff,
awesome wilds. Wished i had some in my tank. Where did you get them from?

Sindhu

jeff cannons
08-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Got them from Paul Lucas @ Discus South in Southampton ..........

chris allsop
08-10-2005, 10:06 AM
How much do wilds cost?

jeff cannons
08-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Depends what they are really Curiperas are exspensive but some Heckels and Tefes you can pick up for around £45 - £55 for a 5" fish ....

dantouan
08-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Very nice fishes and with great shape my friend, well done...

DarkDiscus
08-25-2005, 02:47 PM
I like them all. Congratulations!!

John

diskboy
08-27-2005, 12:15 PM
nice fish but i dont really like wilds

cobaltblue
09-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Beautiful fish my friend. I have never had a wild discus. Everything i read about them scares me away. Are they much more difficult that captive bred fish.?

Chris

I have 2 red snakeskin, 1 cobalt, 1 blue diamond, 4 pigeon blood. :angel:

jeff cannons
09-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Hi Cobolt I wouldnt say they were much harder too keep , the water has too be a little softer for them but other than that no probs !!!!

Tad
09-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi Cobolt I wouldnt say they were much harder too keep , the water has too be a little softer for them but other than that no probs !!!!

I concur with Jeff,

From my experience they are just as easy or maybe even easier to keep compared to domestics..

jesse
09-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Hello,

I love wilds and I just don't consider domestic anymore..
Wild are probably easier to keep than domestic because mother nature has done her work..
But beware, they have to be very well treated and have a soft water to develop their full potential!
They have to be well quarantined also because they can bring very nasty parasites from where they come from!

An other thing: they are harder to breed than domestics..

Jess

RyanH
09-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Hello,

I love wilds and I just don't consider domestic anymore..
Wild are probably easier to keep than domestic because mother nature has done her work..

Jess

I'm moving in the same direction as you Jesse. I've really fallen in love with the wilds. I can see myself getting out of domesticated Discus altogether at some point.

In stark contrast with some domestics that I've owned, I've had no problems with my wilds. They are incredibly hardy and easy to keep.

-Ryan

Tad
09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm moving in the same direction as you Jesse. I've really fallen in love with the wilds. I can see myself getting out of domesticated Discus altogether at some point.

In stark contrast with some domestics that I've owned, I've had no problems with my wilds. They are incredibly hardy and easy to keep.

-Ryan

Ahhhh Ryno,
What Ive been telling you all along finally sinked in LOL!

Regards,
Tadducci

RyanH
09-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Ahhhh Ryno,
What Ive been telling you all along finally sinked in LOL!

Regards,
Tadducci

:D :D :D

Upper Canada
09-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Tad is right,

They are, generally speaking, quite strong and developed having survived in a wild enviroment. I keep them in the same systems as domestic discus, Ph 7.8 and 275 ms hardness.

I would say that their colors are best however when the water is intended to promote breeding.

Bob

Upper Canada Discus

crispy crunch
09-26-2005, 11:53 PM
From my experience, wilds are much more durable, they just need some TLC after there shipped. Lot's of regular water changes and feeding's soon snap them out.

Dood Lee
09-27-2005, 01:33 AM
What's TLC?

crispy crunch
09-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Tender love and care :angel: .

cowboy steve
09-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Tad is right,

They are, generally speaking, quite strong and developed having survived in a wild enviroment. I keep them in the same systems as domestic discus, Ph 7.8 and 275 ms hardness.

I would say that their colors are best however when the water is intended to promote breeding.

Bob

Upper Canada Discus

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but would it be fair to say that you can keep them with domestics, but optimally you should keep them as close to Wild water conditions as possible for coloration.

Would the same be true for health and growth as well?

brewmaster15
09-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I keep my wilds together with my Domestics and unless I am breeding them... They are in my tap water..pH 7.4-7.6 , KH less than 1.. and about 350us. ..They are fine in this water and I haven't really noticed any difference in coloration when I swap them to softer ,lower pH water. I don't think wilds benefit any more or less from acidic water than Domestics would unless the tap water is very high in minerals and pH, I don't have experiences with that water... I think They both are at their peak in water closest to what they evolved in. I do think however that they are hardier than domestics.

You can see my wilds and domestics here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=45190&page=1&pp=15

Cosmo
09-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Tad?

Is that really you :confused: was getting really worried about you buddy - been gone a looooong time :p

Yup, I love the wilds too... reminds me of the old days when wilds was all there were. They also seem to have so much more personality too :) Like Al, I keep my wilds and domestics together but I keep mine in very soft low ph water.. they all seem to enjoy the water as much as the others, and, have to agree with all the above that the wilds do seem much hardier.. the culling process was done before they got to our tanks..

Thinking I'll keep having a mix of wilds and domestics though.. at least until someone can find me my Rio Ica and Yellow Heckles I've been looking for for years on end lol Then, who knows :D

Jim

cowboy steve
09-27-2005, 10:55 PM
I keep my wilds together with my Domestics and unless I am breeding them... They are in my tap water..pH 7.4-7.6 , KH less than 1.. and about 350us. ..They are fine in this water and I haven't really noticed any difference in coloration when I swap them to softer ,lower pH water. I don't think wilds benefit any more or less from acidic water than Domestics would unless the tap water is very high in minerals and pH, I don't have experiences with that water... I think They both are at their peak in water closest to what they evolved in. I do think however that they are hardier than domestics.

You can see my wilds and domestics here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=45190&page=1&pp=15

Thanks for clarifying that.

Followed your link, kick a$$ wilds.

I need more tanks.

ppv1951
10-01-2005, 11:28 AM
think i like the idea of wilds after reading this..........

pat.

crispy crunch
10-01-2005, 06:34 PM
In my opinion once you own wild's there is nothing like it. My influece on others has proven the same result, GO WILDS!!!

Tad
10-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Tad?

Is that really you :confused: was getting really worried about you buddy - been gone a looooong time :p

Jim

LOL Jim!

I keep my wilds in RO reconstituted with tap (ph 6.5) otherwise a lot softer than my tap which is at a ph of 8+ and us450.

Im wondering if anyone is using straight tap successfully with their Heckels and what is the parameters of their tap????

regards,
Tad

Lynn
10-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Ken has some spawning going on!
http://www.aquaforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4427

crispy crunch
10-03-2005, 11:20 PM
A buddy of mine has had 6 heckels for over a year now, and told me that the other day they have been showing interest in breeding, there not there yet but should be there shortly. He's been using RO though not regular tap water. I feel that's hard enough already with optimal water quality let alone tap to achieve this. Once he get's them breeding (if it happens) I'll try to post some picture's :D .