PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Questions

holocron
08-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi there,

I am new to discus and new to this forum. I recently came across a guy selling some of his jouvie discus (roughly 1/2") and I decided to dig in deep and get a few. Unfortunately I lost 3 but still have 3 that seem happy and healthy. From what I have read there is quite a bit of info to know before digging in (as I learned the hard way). The internet has been my best friend, but at times I find it hard to get a definitive answer to 'how things should be done' as everyone has their own method. I am please to have found this forum as it has answered many questions. Thanks and greetings to all!

My remaining three discus are just over an inch now and are starting to show some colour (they are red. tourq.). I have been feeding them exclusively live blood worms (which i have read good and bad things about). I want to try and start varying their diet but haven't had much luck doing so. They tend to avoid any flake i put in the tank and will have a go at pellets but generally reject them. Have I just spoiled them thus far? or should I keep trying to feed them flake/pellets?

I also have frozen blood worms, would those make for better food then live ones?

(i have a million questions, but will leave it for now :) )

Thanks.

-holo

Carol_Roberts
08-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I would definately try to add tetra bits to their diet. Feed the tetrabits in teh morning when the discus are hungriest.

holocron
08-11-2005, 04:27 PM
thanks carol.. I will give it a try!

Alight
08-12-2005, 12:05 AM
At 1 inch, your discus are a bit small for tetra bits. When you feed tetra bits, definitely soak them in tank water for 5-10 minutes before you feed, so they can bite them a part a bit. This will make them take them better.

ShinShin
08-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Many discus, esp. small discus, have a hard time with bloating when feeding Tetra Bits and bloodworms.

Moon
08-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Are you sure that the worms you are feeding are blodworms and not tubifex? I have not seen live blood worms in TO. Most of the LFS carry live tubifex and black worms. Feeding live tubifex to discus is not a good idea. Try to get them on th frozen bloodworms and beef hart.

JimmyL
08-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Holocorn:
The best way to learn is to pick a mentor among the established hobbyist, sent a PM and ask if they have time to share their knowledge with you. You will have better focus on what you're dealing with. Most of the senior members can steer you to the right direction and at the same time you can also post on the forum to ask for advice. I have guided many in this way with daily communication around the world and majority of them are still very active in the hobby. Many became a long last freind that we visit each others every year to have a few beers and some Chinese food ... bring a few fish home under our coat pockets...........
Jimmy

holocron
08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks JimmyL... it sounds like a great community of people here. I will certainly heed to your advice.

about the worms, I asked for blood worms at the dragon mall downtown toronto (spadina and dundas) and they gave me small red worms. They looked similar to the frozen ones I feed so I assumed they had given me what I asked for. Thanks for the heads up, I'll surely check to make sure they are in fact blood worms.

nacra99
08-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Like everyone else mentioned, it is a good idea to vary their diet to include dried pelletized food (for convinience) and beef heart. Persistance is the key to weaning or switching foods.

If you do indeed have live bloodworms... don't keep them around for too long. You'll find that one day you'll wake in the morning to a house buzzing with flies when the little worms suddenly sprout wings and become competent fliers.

cheers
Marc

holocron
08-13-2005, 02:28 PM
I am skeptical now that I am in fact feeding them live blood worms... i will of course double check. For now I switched to frozen ones and they are adapting slowly. They still don't touch the tetra bits.. but I'll keep at it.

How long can I keep thawed blood worms kickin about?

thanks

Carol_Roberts
08-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Best not leave them in the tank for more than a few hours. Feed sparingly until they start to eat them