PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

msbudlite
08-13-2005, 05:22 AM
I have a 46 gallon tank with a 304 Fluval filter, heater etc.

My tank is planted and I have fine gravel.

I need to do a water change NOW because my hardness has gone up. I use rain water. My problem is and there are a few so bare with me:

How to lower my ph?
My water is cloudy.
Do I have the right filter, I've been told the Fluval promotes bacteria.
I've added peat to my filter but maybe not enough?
I've heard not to use carbon which my pet store just sold me.

Is the gravel raising my ph? Even when I put in "new" rain water my ph is still high. There is a substrait that's red? I don't remember what it's called but I think it helps with plant growth and water ph.

I'm picking up my baby when I get my water conditions right.

Please help...........

Carol_Roberts
08-13-2005, 01:13 PM
What is the pH and GH (hardness) of your water? In many cases the pH of tap water raises after it is circulated in the fish tank. Mine raises from 6.8 to 7.8

shaunn
08-13-2005, 01:39 PM
I have a 46 gallon tank with a 304 Fluval filter, heater etc.

My tank is planted and I have fine gravel.

I need to do a water change NOW because my hardness has gone up. I use rain water. My problem is and there are a few so bare with me:

How to lower my ph?
My water is cloudy.
Do I have the right filter, I've been told the Fluval promotes bacteria.
I've added peat to my filter but maybe not enough?
I've heard not to use carbon which my pet store just sold me.

Is the gravel raising my ph? Even when I put in "new" rain water my ph is still high. There is a substrait that's red? I don't remember what it's called but I think it helps with plant growth and water ph.

I'm picking up my baby when I get my water conditions right.

Please help...........

I have a Fluval 404 and I love it, but I can't say that it promotes bacterial growth.

Take your gravel, put it in vinegor. If it reacts, than it is probably dissolving in your water.

The red substrate you are referring to is either flourite or laterite. I don't know if it changes your pH, but it is good for plants.

Watch out for rain water... are you letting it age? Rain water may be high in carbon dioxide, so let it out gas.

Carol asks some good questions. What is your goal? If you have a planted tank, then I don't think you should worry so much about controlling your water parameters... focus on stabilization.

The carbon argument is that it may remove some of the trace elements that are beneficial to your fish. I don't see any problem with it, although I quit using it.

Peats cool, but I quit using it... too much hassle.

As for your water cloudiness, did you just clean your filter? Maybe bacterial bloom, maybe bacterial death?

nacra99
08-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi msbudlite!
It would help to know your current pH and gH. It might actually still be ok for discus.

Is your tank fully cycled? Cloudiness during cycling is very normal and usually indicates a bacteria bloom.
Also if you are using flourite (that red substrate). Flourite is notorious for being very dusty. If so, letting the filter run for a day or 2 should clear up the cloudiness.

Flourite will not increase your pH or gH. If anything, it should reduce your gH when it is still new.

Carbon is good for short term usage. But the down side is that if left in there too long, it start to leach all the nasty stuff back into the water. I choose to leave it out all together.

Used to use Fluval canisters until i switched to wet/dry. Didn't give me any problems and i was happy with it.

cheers
Marc

msbudlite
08-13-2005, 02:14 PM
ph = 7.2
gh = 60
kh = 60
NO3 = under 5
NO2 = 0.1
ammonia = 0

My goal is mainly to have Discus in a planted tank. I'm not trying to breed, not yet anyway.........

msbudlite
08-13-2005, 02:20 PM
I did the vinegar test..........the gravel isn't reacting.

Carol_Roberts
08-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Your water is very soft and pH is fine. No need to change it. Most likely CO2 is being off gassed in the tank which raises pH.

msbudlite
08-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Is there any way to do the off gasing quicker? Would you explain this in a little more detail that a lay person would understand? :)

msbudlite
08-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I've also just put in a Hagen Elite double sponge filter (runs off my air pump). Is this good or bad? ALSO, I have 3 Clown Loach........yes..........no? Should I put them somewhere else? They could clean up the bottom well. I bought them ages ago to get rid of snails.

nacra99
08-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Is there any way to do the off gasing quicker? Would you explain this in a little more detail that a lay person would understand? :)
Water out of the tap or sometimes even rainwater contains some dissolved co2, which in the pressence of water becomes carbonic acid which lowers pH. If you take tap water and let it sit overnight or agitate it, the dissolved co2 will be released into the air and hence the pH of the water rises.

You can test the effect of dissolved co2 by testing the water straight out of the tap etc. and then letting it sit or bubble overnight and then testing in the morning. In most cases, you should see a pH change.

marc

shaunn
08-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Monitor your nitrite.

Clown Loaches should be fine, I haven't ever heard anything bad about them.

The sponge filter should be no issue.

msbudlite
08-14-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm trying to find an RO portable system. How many filters is preferrable? 3 - 4 - 5?

Carol_Roberts
08-14-2005, 11:24 PM
My RO has a string prefilter, then a carbon filter prior to the membrane,
You can quickly off gas the CO2 and stabilize the pH by agitating or circulating your stored water