PDA

View Full Version : Lower Ph ?

msbudlite
08-13-2005, 10:04 AM
How can I get my ph to lower naturally? I'm using rain water.

And, from what I've read, Discus that aren't wild bred aren't as suseptable to a higher ph?

john2gs
08-13-2005, 11:06 AM
How can I get my ph to lower naturally? I'm using rain water.

And, from what I've read, Discus that aren't wild bred aren't as suseptable to a higher ph?

Ways to lower pH
· Filtering water over peat
· Add bogwood to the tank
· Inject carbon dioxide CO2
· Use a commercial acid buffer
· Water changes with softened water or RO (Reverse Osmosis) water

nacra99
08-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Welcome to Simply msbudlite!

What are your current water parameters?
You might not need to adjust your water parameters.

...Discus that aren't wild bred aren't as suseptable to a higher ph?
Yes that is true. My water is pH 7.8, gH 11 and my discus do fine.

cheers
Marc

msbudlite
08-13-2005, 02:06 PM
GH = 60
KH = 60
ph = 7.2
Nitrate = under 5
Nitrite = 0.1
ammonia = 0
temperature = 84F

I'm using rain water and I have peat in my filter plus a bag in my tank. Plus I have a planted tank. I do have fine gravel though. Maybe it's the gravel?

I would prefer not to use commercial ph lowering products. I've found when you start to use one you end up with a whole bunch more and lots of problems along with them.

nacra99
08-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Your pH of 7.2 is fine for discus.
I'm going to assume that your gH is in ppm not dH. If so, 60ppm is actually pretty soft water. (if it is 60dH, i.e 60 drops of the test kit which is unlikely... then you have liquid rock there. I would get an R/O unit)

Looks like your water is absolutely fine.

how does your tap water test? you might actually be able to use it from the tap.

cheers
Marc

msbudlite
08-13-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm using rain water. My tap water is too hard.

Carol_Roberts
08-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Your water is fine for discus don't worry about lowering the pH. It may even naturally drop in the tank after your tank is fully cycled and stocked with fish.

msbudlite
08-13-2005, 04:59 PM
I've been running this tank for close to two years now. Do you mean fully cycled because I've changed the water? The off gasing?

Carol_Roberts
08-14-2005, 11:46 PM
I though the tank was new - if you've had the tank running for two years it is fully cycled. Test pH in a cup of water - put an airstone in it and test every hour to see how long it takes to stabilize pH.