PDA

View Full Version : Clown Loach?

msbudlite
08-14-2005, 06:49 AM
I have 3 Clown Loach in my tank should I remove them? Also, what am I looking for when it's time to do a water change? ammonia?

I'd like to say THANK YOU to all that have responded. You people are great!!

Thanks again..... :D

ShinShin
08-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Many keep clown loaches with discus although it is not recommended. I don't do it. Clowns are nocturnal and disrupt discus. I have also seen them harrass discus. Both can lead to stress related disease.

Once your biofilter is mature, ammonia ought never be a problem. Nitrates should be present all the time as they are the end product of the nitrogen cycle. High nitrates are not tolerated by discus and is one reason for water changes. One should not wait for high nitrate readings to do a water change, however. There are other organic compounds present, too, that need to be elimenated so water changes are best done on a daily basis with 10% being the low limit, and 40-50% being better for long term discus health.

msbudlite
08-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Other organic compounds?

What other testers should I have?

I have testers for ammonia, ph, gH kH, NO2, NO3.

My Discus by the way chases the Clowns. I put in 4 Red Cardinal Tetras and I have 1 Neon. I'm trying to catch the last Harlequin but I'm trying not to stress the Discus.

This is a real learning experience.

ShinShin
08-20-2005, 12:05 AM
The test kits you have are adequate. Sophisticated testing equipment would be needed to test for many of the substances that are in tank water. That is why it is a great idea to change as much water daily as you can.