PDA

View Full Version : Purplish Tank Water

bio new
08-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Hi

I am puzzled. My tank water lately has purplish colour. Water parameters are o.k. I suspect it could be from the sponge filters.

All my discus do not react at all to this new change.

Anyone has this experienced before?

Thx.

Carol_Roberts
08-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Something in the tank is leaching color - what decorations do you have?

ronman
08-15-2005, 05:49 AM
I had the same problem, not on all the tanks though. It clears up after a day. I put it down to PH fluctuation , temp or tank not fully cycle or bio crash. It happens after I do a big water change at night and in the morning some tanks turn pinkish. It does not affect the fish at all.

Spices
08-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Purple Rain? :) If you have very young (tall) children, make sure they don't add any powdered candies into the tank. :) Or it could be your decorations in the tank, like addressed by Carol.
--a--

bio new
08-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Thank you Carol, Ronman and Spices for the prompt reply.

I dont have any decorations in the tank. Only the sponge filter. I did large water change as per normal. As suggested by ronman, it cud be because of the ph swing or bio crash, really I don't know.

Although I have 3 kids around in my place, I confirmed that they did not even touch the tank.The last water change I did was when they were away and before they come back, the water has changed to purplish color.

Another possibly, I found that the air tubing that is immediately after the air outlet of the air pump is very very black in color. It looked as if it has formed a thick soot in it. My immediate thinking is that the soot might be the culprit that emit some chemical reaction in the tank water. I intend to change it to a new tubing and see whether the problem could be solved.

I will inform you all of the progress after a new tubing is used.