PDA

View Full Version : help large driftwood floating badly

qieter
08-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi all,

I bought 2 large driftwoods (24" &26") off ebay and found out that they are the floating type. I submerged them in a pail of water over the weekend fr 4 days but when i tried to put them in the tank today they still float badly. I couldnd use rocks to keep these down due to their shape, the rocks will just fall off. I also dont want to use metal nails to screw peices of slates onto the wood since i dont like having metals in my tank....could anyone help suggest other better ideas to make these woods sink? thanx in advance.

Vick

ValorG
08-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

I bought 2 large driftwoods (24" &26") off ebay and found out that they are the floating type. I submerged them in a pail of water over the weekend fr 4 days but when i tried to put them in the tank today they still float badly. I couldnd use rocks to keep these down due to their shape, the rocks will just fall off. I also dont want to use metal nails to screw peices of slates onto the wood since i dont like having metals in my tank....could anyone help suggest other better ideas to make these woods sink? thanx in advance.

Vick
Just get stainless steel screws man. I got my wood from ebay too and floated even after months of being submerged. only solution was to use slate cuz i hated the look of that bag of gravel on top of my wood. use stainless steel screws and its no prob. i was scared to use metal screws too but my fish are fine after 2 months with the screws in the tank.

qieter
08-16-2005, 07:38 AM
hmm a little creativity goes along way, i managed to get them to sink by using their own buoyancy so to speak, i hedge them so that the cover of the aquarium is holding them in place...its not perfect but ill post pics later to get some comments as to how to improve it...quite happy with myself and thanx for all the responses!

Vic

ppv1951
09-09-2005, 10:46 PM
you can also silicone your wood to the slate. just make sure it's for aquariums and not the construction kind.

pat.

lesley
09-10-2005, 04:33 AM
I got an old broomstick, put it on top of the wood and between one of the glass struts. Did't look all that pretty but was only there for about a month.