PDA

View Full Version : Can i have any more discus?

chris allsop
08-16-2005, 07:14 AM
My current tank is 48 by 15 by 15.
I have 4 discus between 3 and 4.5 inch.
Plus a couple of other differ fish.
There are some fantastic deals on discus at the minute and i were thinking of adding 3 more, 2 are 5 inch and one is 6.5.
I have two filters, internal and external, plus i do about 15 to 20 % water changes per day or every second day.

Can i add any more, i know they should get 10 gallons each but these are great fish!!
thanks

KIWI13
08-16-2005, 07:48 AM
Well that is a 46 gallon tank you got there and I wouldnt go crowding it up or you will have problems with fish growth. Plus your tank isnt tall enough either. I would say your pushing it a bit by adding 3 more discus in there.

Is your tank bare bottom ?? or s it planted ?? what other fish do you have in there??

For the moment I would hate to disappoint you but I would say no. Maybe I am wrong but I like giving fish space and 7 discus in a 46 gallon is a little overcrowded to me.

HTH

Jason

john2gs
08-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Well that is a 46 gallon tank you got there and I wouldnt go crowding it up or you will have problems with fish growth. Plus your tank isnt tall enough either. I would say your pushing it a bit by adding 3 more discus in there.

Is your tank bare bottom ?? or s it planted ?? what other fish do you have in there??

For the moment I would hate to disappoint you but I would say no. Maybe I am wrong but I like giving fish space and 7 discus in a 46 gallon is a little overcrowded to me.

HTH

Jason

bro Jason.....

how about in my case?

I have 1 silver aro, 1 motoro ray, and 10 discus (less than 3.5"). Can I add 3-5 more discus? They are on a 125 gallon bare-bottom tank, w/ three canisters. I do w/c (30%) every other day.

KIWI13
08-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Wow

How big is the Arrow and ray ???

You got pics of this tank ?? This i'd love to see :D

Jas

I'd still stick with the rough 10 gallons per fish but if you get rid of the ray and arrow, then why not?? you could add some more in there

john2gs
08-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Wow

How big is the Arrow and ray ???

You got pics of this tank ?? This i'd love to see :D

Jas

I'd still stick with the rough 10 gallons per fish but if you get rid of the ray and arrow, then why not?? you could add some more in there

Actually I used to have a 14" Red arowana, 8" flowerhorn, 6" motoro ray, and 6 blood parrots. I can't add discus before....since my arowana is very very aggressive and territorial. My motoro was bitten, and a piece of the skin was bitten off. The flowerhorn was always bitten on the head! Discus will die out of stress...hehehe. But I got rid of my red arowana...and decided to re-vamp my tank set-up. Then I decided to go with discus :D

At the moment, I only have a 7" silver arowana, and a 6-7" motoro ray together w/ the 10 juvi discus. So you think, I can still add 3-5 more discus?

Once I get the chance to borrow my friend's Digicam, I'll post pics...hehehe

chris allsop
08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
how about adding one or two more then?

dirk50merc
08-16-2005, 06:37 PM
IMO Jason right, not the first time I might add. 10 gallons per fish is the absolute minumum space I would give a discus I was going to raise into a healthy adult. You certainly can raise more fish per gallon succesfully but you are only creating a situation which is pushing the limits of the enviroment. This will not create a long term ideal living conditions, I will always error on bigger is better, the more room your fish have to establish their own comfort zone the happier they will be and the happier you will be as a result of all your efforts.

Chris you may want to see if they are offering any fantastic deals on tanks for the fish you are considering, I would hessitate to stick them in an existing tank without quarantining them first. Impulse buys ussually aren't good when it comes to fish, You don't want to go buy new fish stick them in a tank just big enough along with a healthy pouplation this could develop into a bigger problem.

Dirk

chris allsop
08-17-2005, 03:13 AM
ok thanks,
I will not buy any then!!

Shame cos they were fantastic!!!

Im looking into getting a new tank but dont know were to put it and if i have time to do even more water changes!

Dave C
08-17-2005, 07:58 AM
At the moment, I only have a 7" silver arowana, and a 6-7" motoro ray together w/ the 10 juvi discus. So you think, I can still add 3-5 more discus?

No, I don't. Mind you your tank is overcrowded already (in my opinion) so another 3-5 Discus won't make it much more crowded. And when the Arowana gets bigger it will help keep the population down.

p.s. your Discus must be constantly concerned for their lives. I've got 3 rays (flower, leo, henlei) in a 180g tank and the way they swoop about the tank, often in the middle of the water column, I imagine Discus would always be looking over their shoulder. Combine that with a top feeding Arowana that's capable of swooping down in a second to eat and I'd think your Discus would be on pins & needles. Especially in a bb tank.

p.p.s. in the picture below I had a dozen 1" pink convicts. There are 2 left now, both are about 1.5" and concerned for their lives.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/dclubine/DSCN8214.jpg

KIWI13
08-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Well Dave, I must say thats a very nice tank you got there and you are spot on with your call on the discus and the arrow and rays. Good call BTW.

Jas

dirk50merc
08-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Dave, Nice tank,(great looking rays) at least convicts are inexpensive for feeders (you can set up a 10 gallon with a pair and have food for years) LOL. Good call on the temperment of the tank as well, I have to agree I wouldn't keep such agressive species with my discus unless I was punishing them for not spawning, oh yeh thats my fualt maybe I should do more wc's on my 210 (I really should automate that)

Chris, Actually I have a simullar delima w/ wc's 105 gallons with buckets what a pain, I get to do it today as well. Next week I will plan on automating my wc's w/ 2-55 gallon barrels w/ mag pumps and an auto dump to my main drain. Hopefully this will free me up from wc's. Good choice as well 4 healthy discus is way better than 7 spooked discus, and remember to always quarantine, their are alot of people out there who learn this the hard way.

Heres another question for everyone, what do you think of keeping 4-6 juvi flowerhorns, 1 black aro, and 1 or 2 teacup rays in a 110? Will the teacups get abused in this tank. is this a big enough tank for 4-6 flowerhorns. Does anyone knoe where to get quality flowerhorns with out breaking the bank.

Jas, I looked for some flowerhorn info on simply cichlids (thanks for turning me on to it) but found nothing :mad: I know that this is a rather cross breed/inbreed fish but wouldn't still qualify as a cichlid LOL?

My discus tank 210 gallon 7' x 2' x 2' 11 discus, 3 corries, 7 congo tetras. And its fully stocked IMO. Oh and I have 3- 29 gallons for future pairs and a 55 to raise fry if I ever end up with pairs (6 of my discus are heckle i'm sure that's not helping my hopes to breed).

good luck, Dirk