PDA

View Full Version : New canopy and background

mwhite
08-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Hello all, been wanting to build a canopy for my show tank for awhile now, also did an easy latex job on the back too.

mwhite
08-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Hope my fish like it. I thinking I should of got a deeper blue paint, forgot the lights would lighten it up alot.

mwhite
08-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Heres the light setup: Coralife ballast system kit with a blue actinic and a T8 philips daylight 5000k, tried few kinds of combinations and this seemed to make them look the best for
us.

mwhite
08-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Heres the ruler of the tank.. :flame:

ValorG
08-16-2005, 11:13 PM
i like the light color background. Nice tank, are u gonna add plants?

ernest
08-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Nice big tank and beautiful fish, any reason for the actinic or do you just like the look?

Bainbridge Mike
08-17-2005, 12:53 AM
I think in the long run you will be happy with the lighter blue--your fish will show less pepper. It looks great.

Mike

mwhite
08-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone, I think in the near future I will add some plants to it; I really just wanted to see how the actinic bulb would make them look, I did have it with a coralife 50/50 and it was too blue, so I wanted to even it out so I went with a daylight T8 which are really bright, its 2950 lumens. Later on if I wanted a different background I could just scrape it off with my algae scraper..Im also looking into replacing my magnum 350 either with a true wet/dry or maybe an Eheim or Fluval canister.

tpl*co
08-17-2005, 10:31 AM
gorgeous tank! I love that blue, what size tank is it?

markwill
08-17-2005, 11:34 AM
also looking into replacing my magnum 350 either with a true wet/dry or maybe an Eheim or Fluval canister.
Before moving to a canister you may wish to check out some of the concerns raised on these forums about such filters, particular in relation to power cuts. I initially went with a Fluval 404 but I have moved to an Aquaclear. The concerns may be less worrisome for you but, for me (we suffer power cuts quite often) it just wasn't worth the apparent additional risk. Some would question whether that risk actually exists but I feel a little more at ease :-) The fact that I can get the AquaClear for about 1/3 cost of the 404 didn't hurt either :-)

Mark

tpl*co
08-17-2005, 12:40 PM
I have my magnum 350 running a couple of biowheels and I really like it :-). I have a sponge on the intake and not much in the actual filter, so if the power does cut out, hopefully it won't have stuff to foul on the inside (plus it starts up right away, which HOB's may not do, many empty and run dry when the power comes back on).

Also, remember with the aquaclears, there is still stuff in the sponges that turns nasty without water running through it. I'd still worry if the powers been off of an aquaclear for a while about fouling the water with what's left in the filter. (After a few hours of the power being off, smell your aquaclear and you'll see what I mean :().

I had a couple of 30 biowheels that were for a Hot Magnum, got the t connector and viola! I got a magnum 350 pro and couldn't be happier! I also have 2 sponges running on the tank also.

mwhite
08-17-2005, 05:07 PM
I have my magnum 350 running a couple of biowheels and I really like it :-). I have a sponge on the intake
Thats my exact setup; 350 with biowheel 60 tee'd off with a spray bar, and pre filter. I also did try out a aquaclear 110, but my tank lip is wide and when I tried to fit the AQ on, it cracked. :( ..I also didnt like the extreme flow from the AQ even when turned down all the way, JMO though....I would try another if they redesigned it. My tank is an oceanic built in like 1990, I believe its an 70 or 80 gallon. I need to get another tank for Quarantine and for breeding if some ever pair up. Right now there almost 4 inches. Need to get some more discus too, I want to get some quality ones but cant seem to find any around the Dallas area, might have to order from somewhere.

tpl*co
08-17-2005, 08:11 PM
LOL, I hear you on the high flow of the 110, and to make it worse I had it on my 30! perhaps I'll use it again if I breed plecos or something that loves high flow.

mwhite
08-17-2005, 08:25 PM
In looking for new discus, I got on the vendor pages and theres man by the name of Danny who owns Discus Fantasy in Plano,TX(5 minutes away);Ive tried calling his number a few weeks ago thats posted on his site and its shut off, also emailed him several times, with no reply. His fish look preety decent, heres his active site www.discusfantasy.comAnyone know if hes still breeding or selling? :confused:

Bainbridge Mike
08-18-2005, 01:39 AM
I have seen several posts on this site indicating that Danny "got out" of the discus business--but I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

Mike

mwhite
08-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Ok yea I found that too here, will email the guy who is taking over for Danny..

leeg
08-18-2005, 02:05 PM
nice tank and fish mwhite :)