PDA

View Full Version : bushy nose pleco safe with planted tanks

leeg
08-18-2005, 02:09 PM
This christmas (boxing day to be exact) when things at my lfs are on sale, i plan to totally revamp my showtank and getting rid of some fish that do not belong with discus. Anyways I plan to get rid of all my fake plants and move into the real plants. I want to add some amazon swords, potted anuibas, green cobonbamas, hygrophillia and some other plants. My question is are busy nose plecos safe in planted tanks?

Ax
08-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I have 6 in 70GL, and it's fine if you have good lights and CO2.

ValorG
08-19-2005, 01:21 AM
yah its ok but the 2 i have dont do anything. :\

KIWI13
08-19-2005, 04:05 AM
Keep in mind that plecos need a vegetarian diet too and so I would keep a slice of courgette (i think its zuchinni in america) in the tank for em. Feed em well and you can get pleco food in tablet form too which you can stick in at night before you go to bed.
No they won't harm your plants but if you do not feed em some greens in their diet they will look for a new source ( your plants)

HTH

Jason

lesley
08-19-2005, 04:25 AM
I have two common plecos (one about 10") and six little bristlenoses in my planted discus tank. I have lots of driftwood as well which I find the discus like and I understand that plecos need. The plecos are very entertaining and great cleaners up of food, they eat any food given to the discus. They do love veggies which are good for them, and through the winter when I don't have zuchinnis on hand, I feed the algae discs as well. They don't really disturb my plants, and although they sometimes try and push the discus away from food on the bottom, depends on how hungry the discus are whether or not they succeed! I have had no problems with them.

I think they are an interesting addition to my tank and I regard them as a valuable part of my system.