PDA

View Full Version : how do i noe if juv. discus are dyed?

qieter
08-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi all,

I have been aiming to get 6 juvenile discus in my LFS, they are around 3" and have been in the LFS for around 1 month..2 of them longer than that so I noe that they are pretty healthy and i have seen all of them eating flakes. They are pretty skinny but i think this is normal for any unsold fishes in the LFS. They are v active and responds vv well to fingers or ppl near the tank. My question is how do I know if they are dyed or not? they do show some nice colors on them...I want to be certain they arent dyed before i purchase them...thanx in advance..

Vick

Greg Richardson
08-18-2005, 11:24 PM
What kind are they? If you don't know what color are they?
What area do you live in?
You might be surprised if people knew what area some breeders would live near by or some hobby breeders who have juves for sale.
That way you get much better idea of the history of where the fish started and how well they were taken care of.

KIWI13
08-19-2005, 03:51 AM
3" is around 7cm and that is how big my fish are. At this stage they should be showing some nice colour anyway. When you saw them one month ago, did they have strong colour. Generally if the fish is showing its full adult colouring at an early age, then thats a good sign that something's a miss...

qieter
08-19-2005, 07:39 AM
hmm...2 of them are bluish color, these dont really show that bright of a color, the other 4 that i want are brownish orange with dark bars, these have some nice colors on them (bright bluish green streaks on their fins and around the body)...

I live in New Britain, Connecticut and the LFS was the puppy center at west hartford...actually i would say some of them are pretty close to 4" and when i saw them one month ago, I dont think some of them have such a strong color as now...but i cant be too sure....

Vic s

KIWI13
08-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Hey there is you live in Connecticut then you should check out BREWMASTER15's fish. he has a sale goin on for summer, or atleast he had a sale for summer. he is the admin on here and has some very nice fish. Why don't you pm him and then you can get some grade A discus from a good source and you don't have to buy from the LFS.

Just a thought.......

Jas

KIWI13
08-19-2005, 07:46 AM
Heres a link to his ad for the summer sale

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=43981

HTH

Jas

qieter
08-19-2005, 10:38 AM
thanx for the contact info and link, already contacted brewmaster and waiting for his reply.

Vic

qieter
08-22-2005, 11:17 AM
tried emailing and pming brewmaster but hasnt gotten any response yet...looks like i am back to getting the discus from the LFS...they are around 2.5-3.5" and showing pretty good colors, does this mean there is a possibility they are dyed or something? thanks

Vic

KIWI13
08-22-2005, 11:27 AM
He is probabaly a little busy but I would say he will answer your mail. If not try Barb Newell from canada, she has awesome fish. Great price too and then there is Kumlin who has very nice fish too.

Its worth gettin in good fish cause you rpatience will pay off with great quality.

Good luck

Jas