PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting Discus!

Joelio
08-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Hello,

Although I am new to simply discus i am not new to the simply world, I moderate on simplycichlids, so allow me to introduce myself, I am Joel, I have been keeping cichlids for about 6 years now and i am currently keeping the african beauties, frontosa. I am moving out not too far from home so I will be closer to University, where I am staying has practically R/O water coming out of the tap. pH 6.8, GH and KH virtually undetecable. I have 25 gallon high style tank that I will be setting up, and I really want to keep some discus. I was thinking a thin layer of sand and tons of driftwood as a setup.

What do you guys think, as for tankmates, and stocking, and your favorite, discus!

Thanks,

Joel

KIWI13
08-19-2005, 10:02 AM
I never thought I'd see the day Joel posted on Simply Discus but Alas Miracles can happen.................

Welcome to the wonderful world of discus and there are lots of people on here you will get to meet and know. People that have helped me alot. People like Angie ( Spices), Don Lee, Brian (Jeep), Ryan, Barb, Carol Roberts, Dirk, Andrew Soh, Kumlin and the list goes on................................................ .................................................

This site is cool and before you know it your classified as a discus addict. So once again welcome buddy

Jas ;) :D ;)

ernest
08-19-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm jealous of your water supply. Making my own RO is what keeps me from having multiple tanks...go for it. :thumbsup:

hexed
08-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Joel,
Welcome to the discus world!
Honestly, I have grown out dicus in a graveled tank, out of 11 only 3 ended up stunted but they looked stunt when they arrived. It is a lot of cleaning to get them full grown with gravel. I took Carol's advice and now grow out fry in a bare bottom tank. It takes me only about 15 minutes to clean the tank daily instead of hours with the gravel. If you are going to buy juvis then I would say go BB until they are full grown, it's easier and less time consuming, which means more time to hit the books ;)
If the pH is 6.8 you don't need driftwood which will lower it even more right? I had a large piece of driftwood in my tank and it kept the pH at a constant 6.5, I removed it because the discus started hiding behind it everytime I went to the tank. Now they are not affraid when I come to the tank.
Unfortunately I do not have anyother tankmates with my discus. I did have a bichir, he was 8 inches long, but I lost him because I didn't close the lid on the tank and found him on the floor the next morning :( I am still kicking myself in the butt over that dumb move I made.
Frank

Carol_Roberts
08-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi Joel:
A 25 is OK as a bare bottom breeder tank, but is too small to grow out a group of juveniles and too small for a pair of adults if full of driftwood and sand. Think of discus more like Frontosas . . . only with lots more water changes. I'd do a 55 gallon and recommend you read thru the stickied topics in the beginner section. Sounds like your water will be great for breeding discus - do you know what the GH is? The reason I ask is my water in pH 6.8 from the tap and quickly raises to 7.8 in the tank due to CO2 disolved in my well water.

Joelio
08-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Wow! Lots of opinions and great advice. I still can't think of why bare bottom tanks affect discus, not even a thin layer of sand? I am using driftwood as more of an asthetic pleaser to the eyes, maybe attatch some java moss. Carol, I see what you are saying in the long run that it may not be a good tank for adults. I would still very much like to try it, and if I notice any issues, the fish will get a larger tank and better care. The reason I say this is because, I have no room for a 55 gallon tank in my room.

Oh another question is, do I need to do daily water changes? Couldn't weekly suffice?

Thanks,

Joel

KIWI13
08-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Hey Bud, Well a reason for doing daily water changes is to keep up the mineral supply in the water too. If your water is soft , it generally lacks all the minerals required to grow out healthy fish. Here with my tap water at 18°GH I do twice a week changes and sometimes once and the fish are growing really well. I mix in a lil RO water to lower the hardness a bit. You know you get the minerals for discus that you can add to your water, I guess if you do that then you can get by on twice weekely. JMO
Plus it would be cooler if you could sneak in a 30 gallon cause if you respect the 10 gallon per adult discus then your sweet with 4 juvi's and then when they grow you can decide what to do next.
When you add in a gravel bed and drift wood you take away from the water volume hence making the tank alot less in size. So you would cut down the water and the space. Discus are such amazing fish that even in a bare tank they stand out. Once the juvis are gettin bigger you can add in some plants. But to start of with a bare tank and some potted plants like a sword aint that bad.
Ofcourse its hard seeing an empty tank considering that you had the best planted tank on Simply Cichlids (wha a tank it was :o )
But seeing as how these are your first discus, your allowed to make errors and there is alot you will learn from them. But I would not re-consider your choice to get some cause they truely are amazing fish to keep.
You haven't kept fish until you have kept discus and this is true...............

Hey plus a 30 gallon doesnt cost much more than a 25.

Jas ;)

Joelio
08-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks Jas! But I may have to re-consider my choice. During the month of December the most I can do is weekly water changes, since most of the time I will be home and have someone else feeding them for me. I think they may be too much work for me, I really don't have the time as much people do on here.

I still need to think this over. What about adding epsom salts for hardness increase?

-Joel

Joelio
08-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Anyone??? I need more opinions from experts!

-Joel

Cosmo
08-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Joel,

One last piece of advise.. stop thinking about it and DO IT!! :D

Carol's right, 25 is too small

Yes, you should do daily water changes, weekly won't cut it.

You should overbiofilter the tank

Keep it clean

Feed a varied diet

ENJOY :)

Jim

Joelio
08-23-2005, 06:10 PM
:( Sorry guys, it looks like it won't work. I am more than capable to buy the fish, but if they need that much extreme care then it just won't work. I'm terribly sorry. One day, one day. So I am now thinking of a dwarf cichlid tank, perhaps keyhole cichlids, tetras, some corries, and my gold nugget pleco. Sounds nice to me :)

Thanks for all of your help!

-Joel