PDA

View Full Version : "U" shape aquarium

Bassem
08-23-2005, 03:09 PM
hello everyone

anyone knows any DIY sites for constructing a "U" shape aquarium, or what is the general rules to follow when constructing this kind of aquarium, i am thinking of glass in contsruction, how to calculate the thinkness of the glass on this aquarium ?

any iformation will help

regards,
Bassem

Anonapersona
08-23-2005, 03:42 PM
I believe the thickness of the glass is a function of the depth of the aquarium, as well as the strength of the glass presumably, the thickness must hold the pressure of that column of water.

More important, how do you propose to bend the glass??? It would take a very large kiln and very high temps to melt the glass over a u shaped form that was not combustable at, oh say 2000 degrees (just guessing). If you happen to know any glass blowers, maybe, but not something most folks are capable of.

I think the "bullet" shaped aquariums are of acrylic.

Bassem
08-23-2005, 03:47 PM
well i thought that i can make the side one to another with silicon not a typical U curve it is more like this "| _ |" and use silicon but i am thinking now of the button, how it will get the u shape as one piece, well i think this need more study then i thought,

Bassem

Giniel
08-29-2005, 01:29 AM
Hi , You should check with major glass companies.
My brother works for a glass comp. in Texas and he told me that he could get any kind ,shape and thickness I wanted when I get ready to build a bigger tank. Might be a little pricy but worth asking about .
Debbie