PDA

View Full Version : Sun Light

xxfoxmtbxx
08-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Hello again, Sorry for the other stupid question I don't mean to make people angry by posting stupid questions or anything, but does the amount of sunlight have any affect discus fish? I am in the basement and the sunlight is not as intense as it would be if the tank was upstairs though I do have a desent amount since I have a window and a screen/glass door when I open the door in the summer. If so is their any kind of flouresent bulb that can emit uv rays or anything like that ( sorry if thats a dumb question ) but thanks for any help

-Jeff

ricmod
08-25-2005, 10:50 PM
IMO I would say that you have enough light. I am also in basement small window and door . I have overhead light for evening and evening feedings. And small 18 inch light for fry tanks when I want to keep lighted. I just move it around.

Rich

Moon
08-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Extended amount of sunlight might cause algae problems. You might want to limit the photo period of sunlight to about two to three hours per day. Flourescent lights do emit a certain amount of long wave UV which is harmless in small doses. Short wave UV is can harm your fish but this is filtered out by the glass envelope of the lamp.
btw I don't believe that there are stupid questions. All questions are valid.

ppv1951
09-13-2005, 07:04 AM
as ricmod said, he's in a basement too. so are lotsa people. and, if you think about it, how many people have a lot of direct sunlight coming into their houses and into their tanks? i have never had a tank with a lot of direct sunlight. most, with none. i wouldn't want the algae problem.

mary sube who's a major seller/importer just suggested to a guy that he cut down his light because the fish don't like a lot of light. he wanted to keep a planted tank with (4) 65 W tubes for his plants. i've read in other places too, that they don't like lots of light.

think about the natural habitat the fish come from... along the banks of slow-moving waters in the amazon. there's probly a lot of tall growth along those banks. and, the fish live down in amongst the gnarled roots and branches... in the shadows.

if you think your fish aren't getting enough light, you can always increase the wattage on your bulbs and try it. i doubt you would need to, tho.

the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.....

pat.