PDA

View Full Version : discus with arowana

qieter
08-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has kept discus and arowana (black/silver) before with success and care to share their experience. Thanks

Vic

aqua
08-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Vic,
Your discus will have no chance in a tank with the arowana. Don't even think about putting them together. Not many fish can get along with the arowana unless it is a huge tank. I mean couple hundred gallons tank. From my experience with fish, red parrots could get along with the arowana.

qieter
08-26-2005, 02:49 PM
As in the aro will eat the discus? I have a 180 gal btw, Iam not sure if thats big enough though.

Vic

Vic,
Your discus will have no chance in a tank with the arowana. Don't even think about putting them together. Not many fish can get along with the arowana unless it is a huge tank. I mean couple hundred gallons tank. From my experience with fish, red parrots could get along with the arowana.

aqua
08-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Vic,
If you have a small arowana, it might not have a problem there with a 180gal tank. But as the arowana grows bigger, watch out. We had an incident where the silver arowana tried to bite the flowerhorn fish in our 125 tank. Your discus might become food for the aro if it gets hungy.

aqua
08-26-2005, 03:06 PM
....and forgot to mention, flowerhorn is a very aggressive cichlid!

qieter
08-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Ah okay...thanx for the tip and info.

vic

john2gs
08-27-2005, 03:00 AM
Been with the arowanas hobby for almost 15 years. I was lucky enough to be able to raise successfully different kinds of arowanas.........silver and black arowanas...........australian jardinis..........1.5 red arowanas....Yellow tail arowanas......RTG (red tail golden) arowanas.........and the most expensive asian arowanas such as Blue-base crossbacks and Chili red arowanas. The only arowana that I weren't able to have was a green arowana.........and of course the most expensive and rarest among them all......THE PLATINUM AROWANA. hehehe! Some hobbyists also consider the giant arapaimas to be under arowana. They get HUGE!!! They get around 6 feet or more...depending on the diet and the space it occupies...

from my experience as well as other experienced arowana hobbyists:

Silver/black arowanas are the most peaceful arowanas.

Asian arowana.....more aggressive

Australian arowana....most aggressive and very very territorial.

Flowerhorn......is also a very aggressive fish.

I used to have an asian arowana, motoro ray, flowerhorn, and 6 blood parrots.
The red arowana....terrorized every fish in the 125 gallon tank. I guess....it was very territorial since it was the only fish in the tank for more than 3 months. Then I introduced the other fish. The motoro ray got bitten twice. The Flowerhorn (last introduced), was always bitten on the head. But after 3-4 months......the arowana, got used to them.....and the nipping of tails and etc....subsided dramatically....

In regards to silver/black arowana........they might get very territorial and fierce.......if they were the first one introduced in the tank......and was the only one there for months and years.

I recommend that you introduce a baby silver arowana in your discus tank....the last. Your discus will get along w/ the silver arowana without any problems. But in some cases....it may not...since a very small percent is aggressive.

Just like with australian and asian arowanas.....they are fierce.....but with some lucky hobbyists....they were able to have a community tank w/ discus....w/o any problems at all.

The key is..........get them as small as you can.......and introduce them the very last in your community tank.

Once they get big....(silver/black) arowanas will not be disturbing your discus. You may see some..playing around (once in a blue moon)......but nothing major will occur.

HTH....

mench
08-27-2005, 09:06 AM
I had silver Arows in with my discus with no trouble...I got the Arows at a small size..3" and I put one in each of my 125 gal tanks with my discus...I just last week sold my 5 Arows..not because they were bothering my discus,because they were eating me out of house and home LOL...The smallest Arow was about 10" and the largest was about 14"

Mench

qieter
08-27-2005, 10:08 AM
thanks for all the info guys, i have difficulty getting small black aros here in CT, the smallest I can get is around 12" so I might have to be more patient to look for smaller one or get a silver instead..thanks again

Vic

ValorG
08-27-2005, 08:10 PM
ive kept my black aro with discus for almost 2 years now. i agree with what others say about adding the aro as a baby to a discus tank. heres a link to a gallery. My tank no longer looks like this as i have a lot more plants now. http://www.arofanatics.com/members/valorg/plantedtank2005/

shyvtguy
08-28-2005, 01:32 AM
I've had small silvers with big discus without any incidents. John is right about training your aros when they are young to accept discus as tankmates. good luck

qieter
08-28-2005, 01:31 PM
wow thats a nice tank valor...just the combo i wanted...thanx all...im still waiting for a small black aro to come my way...will keep u guys updated..

Vic

ValorG
08-28-2005, 05:41 PM
wow thats a nice tank valor...just the combo i wanted...thanx all...im still waiting for a small black aro to come my way...will keep u guys updated..

Vic
well i hope that this isnt a downer but basically i think black aro season is spring. I got my baby black in spring and thats the only time i saw baby ones. U could try a 6-7" black if u cant find babies or probably go online and order one cuz i think finding one in ur lfs is going to be impossible. some online places sell them as blue arowanas cuz of their blue fins and u can also try aquabid and put an add in the wanted section or look in the arowana section.

aziyaeian
08-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Been with the arowanas hobby for almost 15 years. I was lucky enough to be able to raise successfully different kinds of arowanas.........silver and black arowanas...........australian jardinis..........1.5 red arowanas....Yellow tail arowanas......RTG (red tail golden) arowanas.........and the most expensive asian arowanas such as Blue-base crossbacks and Chili red arowanas. The only arowana that I weren't able to have was a green arowana.........and of course the most expensive and rarest among them all......THE PLATINUM AROWANA. hehehe! Some hobbyists also consider the giant arapaimas to be under arowana. They get HUGE!!! They get around 6 feet or more...depending on the diet and the space it occupies...

good work buddy
would you please learn me how to do it?
can you introduce me somevere which I can get more info?

THX

Afshin

qieter
08-28-2005, 09:14 PM
are u refering to the asian aros? lol if you are its not worth the risk

Vic

john2gs
08-28-2005, 11:18 PM
good work buddy
would you please learn me how to do it?
can you introduce me somevere which I can get more info?

THX

Afshin

try going to www.arofanatics.com

you will learn alot about arowanas at that site

aziyaeian
08-31-2005, 03:36 PM
THX john
great site and lots of info.
but I couldn`t find anything about breeding

john2gs
09-01-2005, 10:37 AM
THX john
great site and lots of info.
but I couldn`t find anything about breeding

its very hard to breed arowanas

first, even experts can't identify the male from the females.

Most breeders/arowana farm owners............place about 30 adult arowanas in a big pond, hoping that there will be a matching pair. That's how they breed arowanas. Water and temperature should be perfect in order to achieve this.

But I have read some articles that a hobbyist got lucky......having 2 arowana in his fish tank, and was able to spawn inside the tank....and raised baby arowanas.

Spices
09-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Nice going Valor. They all look very happy. :thumbsup:

ValorG
09-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Nice going Valor. They all look very happy. :thumbsup:
ty ty i have a much nicer lookin tank now but i will update in a few weeks when the plants have grown in more.