PDA

View Full Version : Tank Size?

doublefake
08-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi, I just started with 7 small discus (around 1.5 in). I have a 20 Gal (bare bottom) and a 55 planted tank. So I plan to put them in the 20 Gal first. Do you guys think a 20 Gal tank is enough for the growth of these fish? And when should I move them into the 55 Gal tank? around 3 inch?

I can make daily water change for the 20 Gal tank, but it would be harder to make for the planted tank. And there are several other fish in the 55 Gal tank (Guppy, platy, SAEs, ottos), are they compatible with the discus?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Carol_Roberts
08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
The 20 gallon will last for a month or so - then they will need a bigger tank. You should read through the stickied posts in the beginner section on seting up a tank for juveniles or go to www.discusnada.org and read through discus care.

markwill
08-30-2005, 03:41 PM
So, expanding this a little, what factors effect the size of a hospital or quarantine tank?

To set a context, lets say I'd have a maximum of 4 fish in such a tank for, say, 6 weeks max (I'm comfortable with defining my "maximum purchase" to be 4 adults, although it's unlikely I'd do so - if I bought 4 it would probably be smaller fish). What is the minimum size tank I'd need for such short term purposes?

Mark

Carol_Roberts
08-30-2005, 03:54 PM
It depends on fish size, fish agression and amount of water changes. You could put 4 passive adults in a 29 gallon for 6 weeks with daily water changes of 20 - 30%. With aggressive adults a 55 might not be big enough. . . . Juveniles do best in groups of 6 or more to spread agression. You could put 6 or 8 juveniles in a 29 for 6 weeks with 30-50+% daily water changes. A 29 gallon has a 30 inch foot print.

doublefake
08-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Carol.
If I move them to the 55 Gal tank, do you think I should move out the SAE (2 adults) and the platy (1 adult). I keep SAE in the planted tank to prevent algae, but they seem to perfer flake food more. I am not sure they would grab the food if I put them with the slow-eating discus.

doublefake
08-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Another question about the aged water. Currently I make daily water change, so I would store the water for one day. Do you think I still need to add dechlorinater into the water? I do not aerate or warm the water.

BigDaddy
08-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Another question about the aged water. Currently I make daily water change, so I would store the water for one day. Do you think I still need to add dechlorinater into the water? I do not aerate or warm the water.

Depends on your source water. If your city adds chlorine or chloramine to your water supply, then a dechlorinator is a MUST.

Secondly, to keep your discus from stressing, the water you are changing should be as close to the same temperature as the tank water as possible. If you are putting cold tap water into a discus tank that is 86 degrees, you are going to have some very unhappy discus!

doublefake
08-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. I would take care of the temperature.
Do you guys know whether I can put young discus and SAEs together. The SAEs are around 3.5 inch long. I am not sure they could get along with young discus. Though they are supposed to be herbivorous, they love flake food, even freeze dried bloodworm.