PDA

View Full Version : Sponges loose in tank?

traco
08-30-2005, 03:46 PM
I need to up my temp to treat with metro and in a 90 gallon, having problems getting there. If I lower the water level, which will mean not using my Penguin as filtration, can I put all the sponges that are in the Penguin into the tank to keep the bioload up?

I also have two sponge filters running for filtration in the tank along with an airstone going right now to help with aeration. If I can put the media from the Penguin loose in the tank, that will help greatly, I think, with the temperature and less medicine being used due to less gallonage.

Thanks.

Barb

Carol_Roberts
08-30-2005, 03:48 PM
LOL, Great minds think alike . . . I just posted to another of your threads to do just that. Rinse them in dechlorinated water and throw them in the tank

traco
08-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Forgot to add. Can I also put the bio-wheels into the tank as well? Don't want to lose any bioload if possible.

BigDaddy
08-30-2005, 05:34 PM
The majority of the nitrifying bacteria in a Penguin should be in the biowheels, not in the filter media.

Definately float the biowheels.

A second piece of advice would be to get a second heater or a larger heater that will bring your tank temp up around 92 degrees. Keeping discus, you need to have strong enough heaters for exactly this reason.

traco
08-30-2005, 06:48 PM
I've got two 250 watt ebos in the tank. One is on constantly and the other does work but at a lower temp. required.

So just floating the biowheels will be enough to keep the bacteria going on them?

BigDaddy
08-30-2005, 07:24 PM
I would say it will make for the least amount of die off possible...