PDA

View Full Version : earthworms

cobaltblue
09-01-2005, 02:39 AM
I read somewhere that you can feed your discus earthworms from the
garden for a treat once in a while. Is this true. I dont want to try it if its going to cause disease or something. Has anyone done this?

ValorG
09-01-2005, 03:02 PM
ur discus cant get any diseases from them. my friend did this but he bought his from the store. i dont know if any pesticides or chemicals are in ur soil that the worm might of injested. if u get worms from ur lfs its a great treat and even a great staple diet cuz its very high in protein.

Carol_Roberts
09-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Yes, they love teeny, tiny earthworms. rinse them first.

ppv1951
09-08-2005, 09:50 AM
CB.....

if you have a lot of fish to feed, or just want to feed worms more, you might want to look into culturing your own red worms. it will save digging up the backyard too. red wigglers (eisenia fetida) are small worms about the right size. i haven't tried them yet, but after a lot of reading they seem to be easy to culture. the best price i've found is at:

arkansas caveworms at: www.homestead.com/wormseller/justworms.html

price: $15.10/lb., delivered.

california black worms are another worm lots of people feed. you can find out more about them at:

www.aquaticfoods.com

each has its advantages/disadvantages in terms of culturing them. do a googlesearch to see if it's right for you. personally, i like the idea of a renewable foodsource!

good luck!

pat.