PDA

View Full Version : A new 56gal homw for my not so babies any more

peteypob
09-03-2005, 02:00 AM
Hi all,
Long time no post here. I have a new 56gal column that needs to be set up Sunday for my 5-discus. Sizes ranging from 4.5 -6.5". I have had these guys for about six months and know they still have some time to grow. These past 2-3 weeks I have been slacking on their feeding and WC's. So I have some major catching up to do. Besides my slacking these guys get a 80% WC on their current tanks and fed quite a bit.

I have had some troubles here at home but everythings up to par now and reay to catch these guys up. With this tank I want to have a sand bottom. Whats my best a cheapest option? How should I go about doing it?

I also am getting a big peice of driftwood in there, and some anubias for my plants. I am going to keep this tank very low-tech, mainly because I am more concerned on thier health and growth rather than a nice collection of plants.
Ill probably throw some slate in there as well but thats about it.

As for filteration I have my two already seeded hydro sponge filter and a whisper mechanical.

I have worm feeders to keep the BW from resting on the bottom and fouling the water. I also feed them JW discus beefheart and colorbits. I am trying my best to satisfy both the water and the discus :) . Am I missing anything?

peteypob
09-03-2005, 01:54 PM
hi all,
I just bought some substrate "special grade sand, silica sand" for my aquarium. Is this harmful to discus? Never heard of it but its quite small in size and looks pretty cool.

kazkirk
09-03-2005, 04:10 PM
I have pool filter sand (silica sand) in my tank

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/kazkirkpatrick/aug3002.jpg

Works well for me, just make sure you clean it really well, else you will have a dust storm that you will be cursing over.

ppv1951
09-16-2005, 02:43 AM
how is the silica sand when it comes to cleaning? i've seen others using it too. looks nice!

pat.