PDA

View Full Version : How to catch three Lemon Tetras!!!

Kindredspirit
09-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Could someone tell me how to catch three really fast Lemon Tetras? I think they are bothering my three new discus , and perhaps that is why they dont eat! :( I so can not catch them! I have three discus in a 30gal , been there for a week this Friday, from Cary, GLD, all water testing is fine and temp is 86.9...i noticed today, my thermometer wont go any highter, if you can believe that one! They seem to be more active without the light on, but how long can they go like that?? sponge pre-filter, no carbon....I have everything you guys suggested, bugs me when people seek your advice but do not follow your instructions and all hell breaks lose! sorri....Anyways, they wont eat...i have tried EVERYTHING, except LIVE worms, cuz once i dropped some on me and that was the end of that! But i am going to go and get some today! So if anyone can please tell me how to catch them three fast tetras i would so love you forever!! Thanks! Marie!

KIWI13
09-07-2005, 10:40 AM
You got a couple of net's ?? well you try and pull em out with 2 nets; one to chase and one to net with. Good luck, once you tire them a bit you can fish em out, but that means your gonna have to be patient, LMAO....

Feed em some frozen blood worms, I have yet to see a discus turn that down.

tpl*co
09-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Tetra's and loaches, those are some really hard fish to catch!

Here's what I had to do -

Lower your water level way down, maybe 75% (take out your discus first and put them in a holding bucket or tank). I then used some plastic shopping bags to make a barrier to keep the tetras to one area so I could net them. Make sure the bag is white and easily visible. It is the thought of a barrier that will keep them over there. A medium/big net will help too. If you have plants or decorations, either take them out for the time being or try to net around them (plants will complicate things since they know how to use them to thwart your netting techniques). Try to get the net under and get them to the top or side of the tank to net them.

Good luck and don't make any appointments close to the time you're going to try and net them! One time it took me an hour to net them all when I was trying to switch tanks!.

jaydoc
09-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Tetra's tend to sleep like the dead. Try catching them first thing in the morning-before the sun comes up. Turn the light on and reach in with the nets and grab 'um before they begin to get active.

mattb
09-07-2005, 11:55 AM
also bring the net up from underneath them as I find they are paying so much attention to you and your arm they don't notice the net until it is too late. Get a wide net too ;)

Matt

Joeejojo
09-08-2005, 03:14 AM
I had a similar problem with a bunch of tetras in my tank. I opened the top of the tank and let the lights go off in the tank and room for an hour or so. I went in there with a flashlight, bucket, and a net. I caught 6 of them in a minute in a 90 gallon tank.