PDA

View Full Version : Help on filtration...

Go For It
09-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Hi there...

If all goes well, I will hopefully be acquiring either a 50 gallon or 60 gallon tank this weekend. I have realized that starting out with setting up a tank can be pretty pricey and being that I just got "layed-off" my seasonal job, I'm trying to take things step-by-step because I want to be sure I do it right and not just get a tank and carelessly throw fish in it; that's not fair not only to the fish, but to myself. So this weekend will be the tank... but even though it'll be awhile until I hit the next step because of the budget issue, I want to start getting prices and saving up for the tanks filtration and such, so, for a planted tank, what is the best filtration? Thanks.

shalu
09-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Most people use canister filter for a tank that size. For bigger tanks, I like wet/dry with overflow.

Go For It
09-07-2005, 08:59 PM
So power filters wont work for it? But I thought CO2 shouldn't be used if you were keeping Discus and on't you need it to run a canister filter?

Dood Lee
09-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Besides Wet/Dry Filters, Canisters are the most efficient filters for large tanks. The amount of co2 you inject into your tank will depend on the type of plants you want to keep. I suggest you research what type of plants you want to keep first before you decide on what kind of equipment you will buy.

Go For It
09-07-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm planning on havng mostly fake plants but will have just a few real ones like java fern, java moss, and maybe some anacharis...

Dood Lee
09-08-2005, 03:18 AM
Fake plastic plants? The discus might scrape themselves on them if you are not careful. Better to just go all live plants.

Go For It
09-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Not the hard plastic ones. If they are fake they would be the ones that look incredibly real and are soft for fish with sensitive/delicate fins. I would really like to have a full live planted tank, but the live plants are another thing to add to the work load that needs to be done in order to keep the tank clean for the fish and looking nice. Being that I am a high school senior now, I'm trying to set-up a presentable tank that meets all the requirements for discus with the least amount of work possible. And probably by the time I get this tank set-up I'll be in college... accepting donations now (LOL, just kidding). Thanks again.

Spices
09-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Just letting you know, whether you have a full/semi planted tank or a barebottom tank, you still have to do the weekly maintenance. Sometimes even doing it twice a week.

Be sure you're scheduling the tank maintenance to your school schedule and whatelse more, otherwise you're starting off wrong. It's not so much important to get a filter as it is to dedicate yourself in keeping fish.

Good luck with this project.

In re to filtration: I have a 75-gallon, using hang-on filtration (Emperor 400) and use the XL Vortex once a week for water polishing. Sometimes I change the filter (using the AquaClear 500). My tank includes plants with stones and driftwood and shale. HTH

Angie

Go For It
09-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Angie...

Thanks for your post. It was helpful. I know that the Emperor and the Aquaclear are hang on filters... but do you use the blue padding? I heard of people removing it because it contains CO2? What is the XL Vortex? Oh yeah... I am prepared to take on the work load for keeping Discus, but having a fully planted tank is a whole added work load in itself... with the trimming, daily maintenance for the plants, giving them their special nutrients, ect., ect. Thanks.

Evan
09-08-2005, 01:31 PM
I use the AC 500 or 110 whatever it is called now. Two sponges inside and one over the intake. Works great and easy to clean. Whatever filter you do go with put a sponge over the intake.

Recently I have started using a HOT magnum on occasion, just for fun..

Dood Lee
09-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks for your post. It was helpful. I know that the Emperor and the Aquaclear are hang on filters... but do you use the blue padding? I heard of people removing it because it contains CO2? What is the XL Vortex? Oh yeah... I am prepared to take on the work load for keeping Discus, but having a fully planted tank is a whole added work load in itself... with the trimming, daily maintenance for the plants, giving them their special nutrients, ect., ect. Thanks.

Depending on the plants you want to keep, you wouldn't need to trim them all that much. Amazon swords, Anubias nana or barteri, java ferns, and java moss are all plants that can survive in a discus temp environment, and they don't actually require that much light (probably 2watts per gallon). I dose my tank when I do a water change. It's not actually hard, when the new water is put into the tank, I dose the nutrients right into the tank.

With regards to the HOB, people don't use the blue cartridge in the emperors because it contains activated carbon. Most just stuff their HOB with sponges or filter floss. I never enjoyed the sound of the HOB motors, which is why I got a canister. I clean it every 3-4 months, so my weekly regimen only consists of water changes (every 2-3 days) and dosing nutrients for my plants.

Go For It
09-08-2005, 05:25 PM
What is HOB?

Greg Richardson
09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
HOB = Hang On Back = Like an Aqua Clear hanging on back of tank.

Go For It
09-08-2005, 06:11 PM
I figured... but I would have thought a hang-on filter would abbreviate to HOF. So it just confused me, thanks. So an Aquaclear 500 or Emperor 400 alone will be suitable as the filtration system for a 50 or 60 gallon tank? I wont use the blue padding though... I'll just replace it with a sponge or filter floss or whatever. But besides that it those filters meet the requirements for Discus? Thanks.

Greg Richardson
09-08-2005, 06:48 PM
I use an AC the biggest they have and then two sponge filters for my 55s.
I've seen others who only use two sponge filters and have success.
So I guess it comes back to what works best for you in relation to your cleaning and wc's.

Spices
09-09-2005, 05:33 AM
Angie...

Error in writing.

Correction: Carbon bits in the filter pad is not a source for plant growth. The respiratory from fish (CO2) is needed; Flourish Excel provides some excellent source for plant growth. Check out other Seachem's Flourish products for dosing.

;)
Angie

shalu
09-09-2005, 02:34 PM
activated carbon has NOTHING to do with CO2. Plants can't use it.

Spices
09-11-2005, 08:53 AM
activated carbon has NOTHING to do with CO2. Plants can't use it.

Hi Shalu,

Oops! I goofed. I'm thinking Carbon and not co2. Wrong info. Sorry yall. I rushed in thoughts and fingers went flying.

Thanks for backing up the correct details, Sha!! He is absolutely correct. CO2 is needed for plants to grow, not the Carbon bits that removes the vitamins from the water.

:wave:

Angie

wolfbane
09-11-2005, 07:27 PM
I have a low light planted tank, maintenance is simple, once a week water change of 50%, clean the pre-filter sponges then too. I use 2 AC110s on this 150 gal. tank, seems to keep things clean and clear.
y plants species are anubias, crypts, java fern, and amazon sword, covered by 3 40w regular daylight flourecents. The tank sits 6 feet from an East facing window, blinds half open.

gators111
09-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Go for It

Another filter to look into is a Magnum 350 pro. It's a canister filter w/ a bio-wheel attachment that works well. Like all canisters, they are harder to clean. However, that one has a micron filter that polishes the water and has vacuum attachment that circulates the water through your filter while you vacuum the tank which is helpful in a planted tank.

Dood Lee
09-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Go for It

Another filter to look into is a Magnum 350 pro. It's a canister filter w/ a bio-wheel attachment that works well. Like all canisters, they are harder to clean. However, that one has a micron filter that polishes the water and has vacuum attachment that circulates the water through your filter while you vacuum the tank which is helpful in a planted tank.

This is a common misconception. Not all canisters are difficult to maintain. The Magnum and fluval canisters are hard to clean, but the rena filstar xp and the eheim canisters are very easy to maintain. Takes me only 10 min to clean my eheim, and I clean it every 2-3 months.

gators111
09-14-2005, 05:25 PM
I was speaking generally about canisters, which are harder to clean than a power filter, Aquaclear for example. I have a Rena XP3, and it is harder to clean than my HOT magnum 250. Also, 2-3 months is too long to go between cleanings on your filter.