PDA

View Full Version : Moving

discusgirl
09-08-2005, 09:02 AM
I am seeking advice, I am moving about 3 hours North of here and am looking for guidance as to the best way to move my discus. I have 2 separated in a 10 and a 12 gal tanks until I "got settled." I would like to begin to cycle a larger tank to put them in, but know that will require some time.

In the meantime, does anyone have suggestions as to best move these guys?
Thanks, DG

JimmyL
09-08-2005, 09:14 AM
If you cannot pre-cycle your new tank. Problem solve if you can use the same filtering material in your new home. Keep the bacteria alive during the move. You can use your new tank right away if you have aged water. Do not feed your fish for a couple of days to increase bio-load to the filter. Better if you can pre-cycle your new tank before the move. Carry a bucket of filter squeeze from your old filters in your present tanks and dump it into your new tank. This will cut short your cycling period by 24 hours.HTH
Jimmy

Carol_Roberts
09-08-2005, 04:47 PM
If you just have a couple of discus you can move them in seperate coolers with warm water deep enough to cover the fish by an inch or so. move the tank and set it up first. Follow JImmy's advice to keep the filter media alive (in a bucket of used tank water) and set up with dechlorinated warm water on arrival. Let run for a couple of hours or overnight to stabilize pH and temp. Add discus. You can keep the discus in another tank with clean water and just an airstone and heater for 24 hours.

discusgirl
09-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Do not feed your fish for a couple of days to increase bio-load to the filter. Jimmy

Jimmy,

Should I still do daily water changes even if I'm not feeding them? or will that negate the bioload to the filter.

Will there be much of a change between my current aged water and the new water to affect the fish?

Thanks,

discusgirl
09-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Carol,

All the furniture will be arriving the same day, so how feasible will it be to keep these guys on a heater and airstone for more than 24 hours if needed?

Thanks,

KIWI13
09-09-2005, 09:54 AM
If the water is warm and there is enough of aeration then 24hrs won't be a problem in the slightest. i have done this while I had to fix a leaking tank once. Discus are alot stronger than we give them credit for.

HTH

jas

Carol_Roberts
09-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Set a cup of water on the counter at the new house. measure the pH after 24 hours. Do the same at your current house and Measure the pH after 24 hours. That will tell you the difference.

Do daily water changes - especially after you pull the cycled filter. The smaller the tank of water holding the discus, the more water changes you will need to do. Monitor the ammonia levels. You can keep them in a holding tank with air, a heater and water changes indefinately.

discusgirl
09-10-2005, 01:56 PM
:)
Thanks so much for all the suggestions and advice. Looking forward to the challenge.

DG