PDA

View Full Version : Question

Go For It
09-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi there...

Is a 60 gallon tak that is 16 or 17 inches high tall enough to keep Discus in?

RyanH
09-08-2005, 08:12 PM
That's an excellent size tank for keeping Discus in. Start with a group of 8 or so and enjoy. :)

Go For It
09-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Okay... cool. So that tank will work. It comes with a glass top though. Is that okay? ...and if in the future I wanted to change the glass top to a regular one... is that possible?

RyanH
09-09-2005, 02:23 AM
I don't think it matters one way or the other with tops. As long as you keep your tank covered well, it's just a matter of preference. I've had Discus jump on me so a good top is a smart move regardless of what it's made out of.

Greg Richardson
09-09-2005, 11:28 AM
I prefer glass tops to regular tops. You have better access to your whole tank while cleaning. Most tops flip up half the lid. That's fine for low maintence fish not these.
I go to Home depot and have them cut my glass to fit my tank. Set strip lights right on top. Has worked well. I have two tops per tank. That way when I'm cleaning one side the light is on helping me see on the other side. Then just switch.

You are going to find in this hobby trying a few different ways will eventually help you find the way that works best for you.

ppv1951
09-12-2005, 10:56 PM
a 60 would make a great size tank. as ryan said, start with 6-8 or more, depending on size. the top is up to you and what you like. good luck michael!

pat.