PDA

View Full Version : Discu growth problem

doublefake
09-09-2005, 09:58 AM
I have 7 small discus for 3 weeks. They come from the same breeder. But now one of them grow much faster than others (I can not see the growth of others), and it is a little bit aggressive to others on food. I do 25% daily water change. So what is the problem with other discus' growth? Should I remove the biggest one from the school?

DarkDiscus
09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
What size tank are the little guys in?

I would suggest water changes of 40-50% or more daily and just keep them together, unless the bully gets really rough. I had one boss fish when I started keeping discus and the others mostly kept up with growth - but one lagged behind.

If you pull the current boss, another will likely take its place. Just like if you pull a runt, another often takes its place.

IMO it's just a result of keeping a number of fish in a confined area. I've seen it with many species of fish.

HTH,

John

doublefake
09-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks, John. I keep them in a 20 gal long tank. They are around 1.5 inch, while the boss guy is around 2 inch.

DarkDiscus
09-09-2005, 01:28 PM
20 gallons is okay for now, but you should graduate them to a larger tank very soon. I'd suggest a 55 gallon.

In the 20 gallon I would suggest 80% WC daily to continue growth. If you move up to the 55, the 40-50% daily (or more if possible) will suffice to allow normal growth.

John

doublefake
09-09-2005, 04:35 PM
My 55 Gal is planted so I would rather move them in as late as possible.

doublefake
09-12-2005, 02:24 AM
80% daily WC? Is it necessary for the continuing growth?

ppv1951
10-07-2005, 02:15 AM
it's natural for them to establish a pecking order. let them go and watch and see what happens.

pat.

DarkDiscus
10-07-2005, 08:58 AM
If a number of discus are kept in a small tank the large WC is certainly desirable to keep your fish growing.

100% daily would be even better.

John

Discus Dee
10-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi DoubleFlake,

From my own experience, which is limited ... you will find that within a group of discus there will always be one who is the top dog. When the discus are young you will usually find the top dog will grow a little faster and bigger than the others, I have found this each time I have raised juvi's. Unless the top dog is stressing the others and not letting them get their share of food, I would leave him with the group, just keep an eye on him. With the correct care you may need to move them to a bigger tank soon. HTH

Cheers,

Dee :)

doublefake
10-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes. I have already moved them to a 55 gal tank. The top one is around 3 inch now (grows at least one inch in the past 6 weeks), and the bottom one is still around 1.5 inch, it never grows though it eats well.

Discus Dee
10-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi DoubleFlake,

I would'nt worry too much unless your little guy isn't getting his share of the food or is obviously stressed. I have had little guys in the past, that I thought
would never reach thier full potential in regards to size. Then all of a sudden they have a growth spurt and catch up. Keep an eye on the little guy and if he looks like he may be getting stunted, put him in another tank with some discus of a similar size or slightly smaller and he should grow out nicely. Has worked for me in the past, hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dee:)