PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me please?

Kindredspirit
09-09-2005, 09:51 PM
:confused: I have a 30gal tank, four 3month old discus, water readings are all fine, wc every other day, about 10gal... less than and inch of gravel, as i am in the process of removing it, a Penguin Bio Wheel 150 filter with media filter in a bio bag.... And i have filters coming for the prefilter on the intake thingy....i hope i am making sense, cuz i just learned all this! And....the temp is 88 as you all said to bump it up due to the fact my new discus were not eating. They have been in the tank a week today, from GLD....

The tank was cycled and all.months ago......Added salt...everything is okay i think..but my office smells..and so does the water a little, esp around the filter....How come?? I swear i can taste it at times as well....

If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it!!

Thanks!

Marie!

ValorG
09-09-2005, 10:45 PM
it really shouldnt smell if thats how many water changes u do. u could either try doing daily water changes for now, or clean out ur filter, or add carbon and remove it once the smell is gone. also make sure ur not overfeeding and that all the food isnt going into the gravel.

Kindredspirit
09-09-2005, 11:28 PM
No, i am not overfeeding, as they are not really eating much...and i have sparse pieces of gravel, not much at all....But thank you for your reply!!

Marie!

aggie_67
09-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Since you are just starting out suggest changing 50% water every day, Make sure water is aged 24 hrs, has been heated to 88 deg prior to WC, and have air bubbling through the aging container to remove CO2. As you gain more experience you can modify this but for now play it safe.

Remove all gravel ASAP!!!

Add prefilter to HOB filter. Clean filter element with water removed during WC, tap water will kill biofilter.