PDA

View Full Version : AquaClear 110

Go For It
09-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Hi...

Is an AquaClear 110 suitable enough as the filtration system for a 60 gallon tank? Thanks.

Go For It
09-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Oh...

I forgot to mention that the tank will be a show tank. So it'll have substrate and such. Not sure if this changes anything... Thanks.

markwill
09-10-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm using a 110 on a 72 gallon tank with no problems. I do have a smaller AquaClear too (50, if I recall) but the 110 is fine on its own - I use the 50 in case I need to quickly get a hospital tank going. For the $19 it cost it was a no-brainer.

Mark

ppv1951
09-10-2005, 08:12 PM
michael -

the 110 (formerly the 500) filters 500 gph., and is rated for tanks up to 110 g. it also consumes 14 watts, so you might want to cut down a little and save some electricity, and on the price of the filter. the 70 (formerly the 300)
filters 300 gph., 5 times per hour for you at 60 g., and can handle tanks up to 100 g. carol roberts uses the 300, and from what i've seen of her pics, her water is crystal clear, using 65's. petsolutions.com has the best price i've found so far.

are you planning on keeping discus in a planted tank?

pat.

Go For It
09-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Hey...

Thank you guys for your responses. Well, I was just asking if the AquaClear 110 was sufficient enough for the 60 gallon because a friend of mine is giving me his tank and he's including a brand new AquaClear 110 with it. I just didn't know if it was good enough to be the filteration system for the tank alone. And, yes, the discus will be in the planted tank (however, the tank will MAINLY consist of fake, but soft plants for delicate finned fish in the tank). Thanks.

Evan
09-10-2005, 09:07 PM
I use them on 55 G tanks as well as on my 75.

Works great.

babyjess210
09-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Michael
I have an AQ500 or 110 on my 100 gal with 2 hydro sponge and it's good enough but going to convert to wet/dry. Carol use it on her 55 gal. I also reply to your PM before I read this thread.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=28937

Try big al's

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22129;category_id=1721;pcid 1=2885;pcid2=

HTH
Kenny

ppv1951
09-11-2005, 08:48 AM
michael -

your biggest concern in keeping discus is going to be keeping your water clean. most people keep bare-bottom tanks, do water changes and siphon their tanks daily. you will get a major accumulation of fish poo and un-eaten food in your gravel very quickly, and the quality of your water will deteriorate. so, will your fish.

it would be a good idea to do some more reading on water quality, bare vs. planted tanks, and cycling your tank if you're setting it up for the first time, before buying any fish.

do this research while your tank is cycling. simplyD is a good place to start. you'll find some good stuff over at discusasahobby.com too.

a good compromise is to keep a bare-bottom tank with potted plants.

pat.

Go For It
09-11-2005, 01:16 PM
The tank will be going in the living room because it is too big for my room and my parents won't go with a bare bottom... they want the tank to be a very nice show tank. However, I am ready to work hard and vaccum the gravel (...well, sand in this case) and do water changes on a daily basis. Yes, I will be fishless cycling the tank but I also had a question... this tank I'm obtaining is used, so what is a good way to clean the tank to make sure I won't be spreading any diseases to my future fish? Oh and another question... this tank is not painted and I would like to paint the front and bottom of the tank black rather than dealing with paper backgrounds, but is there a certain type of paint you guys use (...or spray piant perferably so I because I am not that good of a painter). Thanks.

Greg Richardson
09-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi Mike. I clean my tanks with a spray bottle of 10% or so of bleach. Scrub it well. Rinse very well. Dry it long time. So far so good with that method. i know some use rubbing alcohol. tried that but the smell gets me.

I wouldn't paint your tank black. Depending on fish it will help the peppering.

I use white with purple mixture. Faux type of painting.
Just started expermenting with that. I like it.
Most use white or light blue.
Probably need to give it a few coats whatever you use.

Go For It
09-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks for your reponse Greg. I'll be sure to use your method when I get my tank this weekend. Light blue is fine... I'm just hoping I don't mess up the tank when I paint it. :-X

Greg Richardson
09-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Use some masking tape you'll be fine.
Remember this though........

What color looks like after water and light added it will look different.
So don't be surprised.

Dood Lee
09-11-2005, 05:40 PM
You probably already know this, but paint the outside of the tank. I had a friend once who thought he could paint the inside...